Goa bans Muthalik yet again for 60 days
The North Goa district administration on Thursday extended the ban on Mangalore-based Hindu outfit Sri Rama Sene chief Pramod Muthalik by 60 days with effect from September 6.
“The step has been taken to prevent disturbance of law and order and danger to public safety due to aggressive statements or speeches that could hurt the sentiments of certain groups and instigate violence, thus affecting public peace and tranquility,” an order issued by North Goa District Magistrate Nila Mohanan on Monday said.
Muthalik’s associates too have been banned from entering Goa under the order, issued under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code, 1973.
Muthalik’s entry to North Goa district has been banned since 2014, after the right-wing Hindu activist said that he proposed to set up in the state a branch of Karnataka-based Sene and would work towards a ban on Goa’s nightlife and pubs as these aped western culture.
The Sene leader has challenged the ban in the Supreme Court, which last week issued notice to the Goa government for an explanation.