Goa govt needs four more weeks to complete inquiry on BRICS food scam
The Goa government today told the human rights panel that it requires four more weeks to complete the inquiry into the alleged food scam during the BRICS summit held in the state in 2016.
Chief Secretary Dharmendra Sharma made a representation in this regard before the Goa State Human Rights Commission (GSHRC).
Subsequently, the two-member commission, headed by retired district court judge A D Salkar, adjourned the hearing on the complaint filed by social activist Aires Rodrigues in connection with the scam to April 2.
Sharma told the GSHRC that the inquiry has been initiated and statements of police officials have been recorded.
He said four witnesses were examined and another four weeks were required to complete the inquiry and submit the report.
On December 14 last year, the GSHRC had asked the chief secretary to submit a detailed report within 45 days and name the erring officials.
The GSHRC, in its order, outlined 28 points to be examined by the chief secretary while conducting the inquiry.
Rodrigues, in his complaint to the GSHRC on October 14, 2016, submitted that Rs 51.6 lakh was given to a private contractor for supply of food to the police personnel posted on duty for the BRICS summit.
But, the contract was sub-let to a roadside contractor who prepared the food of substandard quality in the most unhygienic conditions, he alleged.
Rodrigues claimed that insects and cockroaches found their way in the food served to the policemen.