Exclusive Interview – Kevin D’Mello
1) Where were you discovered and how did you get your first break?
I was discovered by Sir Prajal Sakhardande when he saw me performing a song (Kantar) composed by my dad. He felt I could act and gave me the opportunity to act in a Konkani film “Just a minute”.
2) When did you realise that Acting was what you wanted to pursue?
I realised when I got the first break in the film “Just A Minute”, I was only 19 years old. I felt that I needed to know the technical aspects of acting, so I did my theatre course in dramatics at Kala Academy and pursued my career in acting soon after Graduation.
3) How did O Maria happen?
Actually before O Maria I was auditioning for several roles. And this was an invitation by Sir Rajendra Talak to me in his own film O Maria in a lead character. Just as the character demanded, I played my role exactly like that. I grabbed the opportunity, and the rest is history.
4) Do you have a celebrity crush?
Yes, many. Since childhood I loved Juhi, karisma and now its Illeana.
5) What hobbies do you take on for fitness, art, passion and fun?
I am not regular gym-goer but I eat less and attend dance classes during my free time every evening.
6) What would you be if you were not an actor?
If I was not an actor, I would probably be a journalist interviewing some celebrity right now!
7) What would be the one dream role you would like to play, if given an opportunity?
If given an opportunity I would like to play a real life Goan Historical character.
8) Could you tell us something about your upcoming films, in Konkani and Hindi?
In Konkani, I have Mogaan and MMS slated for release, in Hindi, G Spot, Finding Fanny and the Hollywood-UK film The Jet Thrash
9) Any Music Videos in the making that your fans should look out for in particular?
Yes just completed with my music video “Juliana”.. Too early to speak about that right now. Just at an initial stage of the making.
10) Would you like to share your experience of shooting those films, the actors you interacted closely with and learnt from a lot from?
Thanks to Sir Rajendra Talak for giving me the opportunity in O Maria. With professional co-stars it was an overwhelming experience, I still can’t believe that I worked with the likes of Anushka Sharma in Ladies v/s Ricky Bahl, Shivaji Satam in C.I.D, Arshad Warsi and Soha Ali Khan in Joe B Carvalho, Marathi actress Pallavi Subhash in Prem Sutra. I learnt to correct definition to face the camera by observing them act. And with them, it was nothing less than a dream on screen. They are all my favourites and I had an amazing learning experience with them all.
11) Could you name your most favourite co-star/s with whom you share a fun rapport?
Mostly all are my most favourites, be it professional or newcomer, I learnt from them all. Among my favourites, I can say Meenacshi Martins and Aryan Khedekar. But be it Meenacshi Martins, Aryan Khedekar, Shernaaz Patel who played Maria in O Maria, Sulbha Arya, Tiku Talsania, I learnt many things from each one of them.
12) How do you see your career graph going with Konkani films? Do you see Konkani cinema evolving to be as promising as it used to be in the golden years?
As far evolving is concerned, yes, technological advancement has made efficient film making possible and all we have to do now is maintain film quality. Konkani films may not have a new screening every week but our films pack a punch like no other.
13) Rate yourself as an actor on a scale of 1-10.
I leave the ratings up to the film critics and film lovers.