New Delhi: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s official trip to India next week has been cancelled, Ministry of External Affairs said here on Monday.
The MEA said the decision to cancel the proposed trip was taken mutually.
The decision comes against the backdrop of a strong Covid-19 second wave in India which has hit the south Asian country hard. For few days, more than two lakh cases are being reported daily, prompting authorities to impose certain restrictions like weekend lockdowns.
However, the MEA said the two sides will hold a virtual meeting in the coming days.
“The two sides will be holding a virtual meeting in the coming days to launch plans for a transformed India-U.K. relationship. Both leaders attach the highest importance to taking the India-U.K. partnership to its fullest potential and propose to remain in close touch in this regard and look forward to an in-person meeting later in the year,” the MEA said in a statement said.
Last week, Mr Johnson has announced to cut short his trip to India over the Covid situation. In January, the British PM had cancelled the trip when he was invited as the chief guest on Republic Day as that time Britain was under the grip of the second wave of Covid-19.
The post-Brexit Britain has been eying at the Indo-Pacific for trade and collaborations in other fields. The proposed trip was billed as “significant” as many new agreements were to be signed between the two nations.
This was the first major trip by Mr Johnson post-Brexit and after re-election.