Current Affairs

CM admits to Town Planner negligence in Canacona Building Collapse

Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday admitted that the building collapse in Canacona could have been avoided if the town planner had been alert and careful. This comes after rescue operations have been halted as another building in the area has begun to tilt. The death toll in the building collapse has reached 17.

“We don’t expect anyone to be alive under the debris. I have pulled off my team from the site as I cannot risk their lives,” said Parrikar.

Meanwhile, the deputy town planner and two others have been arrested, and a FIR has been filed against the builder and the contractor. The South Goa police has issued a lookout notice against them as two of them have been absconding.

Questions are now being raised about the legality of the project. GoaChronicle.com has learned that a local resident had apprised the municipal corporation in 2010 about the illegal construction being carried out by the Navi- Mumbai based builder. He had warned the administration that the building may collapse, but the project went ahead hinting at a thriving builder-politician nexus.

“I had written to the MLA, town planner about how they were cutting the hill and constructing the building. They have been threatening us also,” said Shankar Naik, Canacona resident. The incident is Goa’s worst building collapse. However, local MLA and Goa Sports Minister Ramesh Tawadkar feigns ignorance.

Meanwhile, as questions are now being raised about legality of the building, the Goa Chief Minister has said that the incident is an eye opener for his state.

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
X

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker