32 C
Delhi
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Demolition begins after historic building razed by fire in Sydney

Sydney: The local authorities in the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW) on Tuesday commenced the demolition work at a heritage-listed building in Surry Hills, Sydney, after a fire ripped through it last week.

“We’ve got the specialist equipment from the demolition contractors. It’s a 60-ton, long-reach piece of machinery that can reach in about 23 meters from the building,” NSW Fire and Rescue Superintendent Adam Dewberry told the local media outlet 9News on Tuesday morning.

He pointed out that the main priority for the demolition work was to do it safely and not damage anything else, including adjoining buildings and underground utilities.

During a press conference held on Monday, NSW Police Force Detective Superintendent Gordon Arbinja told reporters that two homeless people, who were believed to have been sleeping in the building, still remain unaccounted for.

“We can’t rule out that there were people under the rubble. We can’t rule it out,” said Arbinja.

According to a statement from NSW Police Force, investigators and specialist crime scene officers will conduct inquiries with the use of cadaver-detection dogs and forensic imaging as sections of the rubble are removed.

The authority has not received any reports of missing people, but investigators are unable to definitively say there is no one inside.

On May 25, a major blaze broke out in a multi-story building in central Sydney at about 4:00 p.m. local time. The building, located on Randle Street, was built in the early 20th century as a hat factory.

At least 100 people have registered as being displaced due to the fire.

Hot this week

Could Oil Turn Somaliland into a Prosperous African Nation?

Key TakeawaysSomaliland's oil reserves hold the key to the...

35 pieces of Shraddha’s body

Love is a powerful emotion. Love inspires you to...

The ‘Thai’ Touch in India

Thai Massage Parlours in the most populous cities across...

‘Justice for Bhavyasri’ trends on social media, seeks fairness for 17-year-old

The #JusticeForBhavyasri campaign is gaining strong ground all across...

The world is raving about Saudi Arabia’s rave party

I always thought that rave parties were the prerogative...

The Mecca Pact: Should India Be Concerned?

Key TakeawaysThe Mecca Pact is a strategic agreement between...

Organ Trafficking: The Business of Dehumanising the Body

Key TakeawaysOrgan trafficking is a growing concern globally, with...

A Girl or Boy from the Northeast Is Not Chinese, They Are Indian

Key TakeawaysNortheast Indians are Indian, not Chinese, and deserve...

Open Letter to the People of Nagaland: Put Down the Gun, Pick Up the Bamboo

Key TakeawaysNagaland must shift from a gun culture to...

Nagaland Can Become India’s Next Food-Processing Startup Incubation Hub

Nagaland stands at an interesting economic crossroads. A state...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img