Breaking NewsCurrent AffairsGoa

Goa Governor urges Shah to pursue resumption of mining industry

Panjim: Goa Governor Satya Pal Malik has urged Union Home Minister Amit Shah to see that mining in Goa is resumed, stating that it was imperative to revive the industry at the earliest in view of collapse of tourism industry due to COVID-19 pandemic.

In a letter written to Mr Shah, copies of which were shared with media, the Governor has said, “Pursuant to the apex court order dated February 7, 2018, the mining in the state came to a complete halt which resulted in the loss of revenue to the tine of more than Rs. 2,000 crore. More than 1.5 lakh people who were directly or indirectly dependent on mining lost their source of livelihood.”

“Further, the present outbreak of Covid-19 has severely dented the other mainstay of our economy i.e. tourism industry, thereby bringing the state economy to a near collapse,” he has said and sought intervention of the Union Home Minister in resurrection of the industry which has come to a halt for the last over two years.

After the Supreme Court banned extraction and transportation of iron ore from 88 mining leases in the coastal state, mining has been hanging in fire.

Last, central government had formed a group of ministers to resolve the deadlock but there is no headway yet as far as mining resumption in the state is concerned.

Last week Chief Minister Pramod Sawant had said that he was in touch with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)’s central leadership and the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) for revival of the industry.

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
X

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker