Current AffairsWorld

Heavy security in Islamabad to deter Protesters

Islamabad: Islamabad Administration on Monday deployed security personnel in large numbers to ward off supporters of Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) who have gathered to protest against publication of blasphemous caricatures of the Islamic prophet in France.

Sunday saw classes between security personnel and angry protesters at Liaquat Bagh
in Rawalpindi.
On Monday more than 3000 security personnel including police, Rangers and Frontier Corps have been deployed to prevent any untoward incident from taking place.
A rally by the same organization and its affiliates in Rawalpindi yesterday attracted about 5,000 people. Today about a thousand protesters gathered at the roadblock that was established to prevent them from entering Islamabad.

Authorities are not ruling out possibility of violence erupting, a notification, dated November 15, issued by the office of Islamabad Senior Superintendent of Police (Operations) said, “It is expected that participants in the rally could go violent and proceed towards French embassy by breaking their promises with the district administration”, the notification read.

The protesters are demanding the government end all diplomatic relations with France.
The administration had tried to convince TLP leaders and organisers of the rally to call it off due to the prevailing virus situation.

A report by Dawn said that SSP Operations have ordered security officials to ensure the security of citizens, key government installations, maintenance of public order and dismantling terror attacks.

Mobile signals remained suspended in Islamabad and Rawalpindi for a third day and roads leading to Faizabad Interchange as well as entry points of Islamabad were blocked by placing containers.

Media reports however say that situation is currently under control, starkly different from what it was on Sunday when Liaquat Bagh presented a scene of a battleground as police and stick-wielding TLP activists clashed throughout the day.
The clashes left dozens of police personnel, including Waris Khan police station SHO Abdul Aziz, and several TLP activists injured who had to be shifted to hospitals.

+ posts
Back to top button