The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has been reconstituted with BJP Canacona MLA Vijay Pai Khot replacing Manohar Parrikar. However, it is interesting to note that the Quepem MLA Chandrakant (Babu) Kavlekar is part of this committee considering that the PAC was to submit a report shortly on the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) scam;
when as chairman of Goa – Industrial Development Corporation (G-IDC), he has been one of the key players other than the two former chief ministers Luizinho Faleiro and Pratapsingh Rane; and current Power Minister Alexio Sequeira in allotting land and manipulating government procedures to favor real estate developers such as K Raheja and Peninsula Land.
GoaChronicle.com in its expose on the SEZ Land scam has detailed the role of the minister and government authorities. Here however, is a brief look into the role of Chandrakant (Babu) Kavlekar was is now made member of the PAC which is probing the SEZ scam and was to submit the report shortly.
On the board of G-IDC during the SEZ land allotment were the following; Alexio Sequeira was the director on the Goa-IDC Board and he along with Chandrakant Kavlekar, Chairman, Goa IDC, A V Parlekar, managing director, Goa IDC and Nitin Kunkolienkar, Director, Goa IDC have omitted the guidelines set by Goa – IDC on key fronts;
1. The GIDC Board had exceeded its jurisdiction, going beyond the scope of its powers, by waiving off Transfer Fees, sub-lease fees in the Board Meeting held on 19th April 2006, without even a request for the said waiver from the applicants.
2. Furthermore, an additional 5, 00,000 lakh sqmts of land were given by GIDC to the SEZ developers to construct internal roads and open space; free of cost, initially, and then subsequently at Board Meeting 295 imposing a rate of Rs 100 per sqmts to be changed and used as per the master plan and for their exclusive use.
3. Although the Board passed a resolution at its 285th meeting in February 2006, fixing the minimum rate for the industrial plots to be allotted at Rs 750 per sqmts for phase 1, 1A, 2, 2A, and 3 of the Verna Industrial estate, interestingly they did not fix a rate for Phase 4 (which was required much after the above phases) was allotted to the SEZ developers at an inexplicable rate of just Rs 600/- per square meter, much lower than the rate fixed for land acquired in earlier years. No Board resolution on these changes was ever passed.
4. More importantly in the issue concerning the applicants K Raheja Corporation, Planetview Mercantile, Inox Mercantile and Margrow Finlease in the allotment of 18.77 lakh sqmts of land in Verna completing all formalities in less than three and half day.
5. And the most important being that the meeting of 19th April 2006 was illegal as there was no quorum. The rules clearly state that one of the Directors or Secretary appointed to the GIDC board has to be present to establish quorum. But for the 19th April 2006 meeting no director or Secretary was present and yet such important decisions were taken at this meeting which is actually null and void in the eyes of the law.