The Allahabad High Court has extended the life of interim orders passed by itself and other courts in the State of Uttar Pradesh until May 31, 2021, in view of the continuing COVID-19 pandemic situation.
The Court had been extending interim orders from time to time after assessing the pandemic situation. On January 5 this year, the High Court had disposed of a public interest litigation (PIL) it had taken up for this purpose.
Now, the Court has deemed it necessary to recall its January 5 order and restore the PIL.
“In the wake of recent upsurge of pandemic Covid-19, affecting one and all in the State of Uttar Pradesh, consequence whereof the courts at all levels are working with reduced capacity, has necessitated the recalling of order dated 05.01.2021.…”, reads the order passed today.
Accordingly a bench of Acting Chief Justice Sanjay Yadav and Prakash Padia has ordered,
“That all interim orders passed by the High Court of Judicature at Allahabad as well as at Lucknow, all the District Courts, Civil Courts, Family Courts, Labour Courts, Industrial Tribunals and all other Tribunals or Quasi-Judicial forums in the State of Uttar Pradesh over which this Court has power of superintendence which were subsisting on 15.03.2021 shall stand extended till 31.05.2021.”
Thus, the order passed today effectively directs:
- That interim orders or directions of this Court or any court subordinate to this Court in the State of Uttar Pradesh which are meant to operate till further orders shall continue to remain in force until modified by specific order of the court concerned.
- That the criminal courts in the State of Uttar Pradesh which granted bail orders or anticipatory bail for a limited period, which are likely to expire, on or before May 31 shall stand extended for a period till that date i.e. May 31.
- That any orders of eviction, dispossession or demolition, already passed by the High Court, District Court or Civil Court, if not executed till the date of passing of this order shall remain in abeyance for the period till May 31.
- That the State Government, Municipal Authorities, other Local Bodies and agencies and instrumentalities of the State Government shall be slow in taking action of demolition and eviction of persons till May 31.
- That any Bank or Financial Institution shall not take any action for auction in respect of any property or an institute or person or party or anybody corporate till May 31.