The Karnataka High Court today refused to stay the proceedings initiated against Bollywood actress Kangana Ranaut over her tweets on the ongoing farmers’ protest.
During today’s hearing, Advocate Rizwan Siddiquee, appearing for Ranaut, sought for a stay on the proceedings initiated against her.
In response, the Court said,
“First you comply with the office objection then only we can consider your submissions.”
Justice HP Sandesh thus granted Ranaut a week’s time to comply with office objections and posted the matter for further hearing on March 18.
On October 9 last year a Judicial Magistrate (First Class) Court at Bengaluru had directed the police to register an FIR against Ranaut for the tweets in question.
This, after a complaint was filed by Advocate Ramesh Naik, which stated that on September 21, Kangana’s team tweeted the following:
“People who spread misinformation and rumours about CAA that caused riots are the same people who are now spreading misinformations about Farmers bill and causing terror in the nation, they are terrorists. You very well know what I said but simply like to spread misinformation.”
Following the order passed by the JMFC Court, Ranaut moved the High Court seeking to quash the FIR.