New Delhi: Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ on Thursday said that more than 1.7 million candidates of NEET and JEE have downloaded their admit cards indicating their willingness to sit for these exams.
Indicating that the majority of students were prepared to sit for next month’s engineering and medical enttrance examinations, he told reporters here, “National Testing Agency (NTA) officials told me that over 7 lakh candidates have downloaded JEE-Main admit cards while over 10 lakh aspirants have downloaded NEET admit cards. This shows that students want the exams to be held at any cost.”
Exuding confidence that all precautions were in place for holding the entrance exams despite growing clamour to defer the exams, he said the Government had received letters from candidates and parents in favour of holding the exams which they had been preparing for two-three years. He was replying to queries about the holding of these entrance exams amid Covid 19 pandemic and clamour to postpone the exams.
To adhere to social distancing norms, the number of JEE exam centres have gone up from 570 to 660 and NEET centres were up from 2,546 to 3,842 and students had also been allotted exam centres of their choice, he asserted.
The engineering entrance exam JEE-Main begins from September 1 to 6 while National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) is due to be held on September 13. The exams have already been deferred twice following the Coronavirus outbreak. The JEE-Mains was originally to be held from April 7-11, but postponed to July 18-23, NEET-UG was originally scheduled for May 3, then deferred to July 26 before getting re-scheduled in September.
Around 15.97 lakh students have registered for NEET and 8.58 lakh candidates will sit for Joint Entrance Examination (JEE)–Main.