Thane: The bail hearing for the 101 accused in the Palghar lynching case was next scheduled on November 3 as the matter came before the special judge for the first time on Thursday.
Appearing as the special Public Prosecutor, Advocate Satish Maneshinde vehemently opposed the bails on the first day of the proceedings and presented a chart as well as the call detail record, describing the role of each accused.
Advocate Maneshinde stated that he has advised the probing agency State CID to make only those accused, against whom there is substantial evidence.
He reasoned that if several are made accused, but there is no incriminating evidence then they will have to be released for want of proof.
Representing most of the accused, Advocate Amrut Adhikari argued that a second FIR can’t be filed for the same incident whereas three FIRs have been filed in this case.
Next, he contended, that the FIRs doesn’t name the accused hence casting a serious doubt on their involvement in the April 16 lynching of three men, including two sadhus.
Terming the identification parade as seemingly farce and of holding no value, he further said that the custodial interrogation of the present applicants had been over, the investigation is also completed and the charge sheets were filed.
In such circumstances, further detention of the applicants is not required, he asserted.
After hearing both the sides, Special Judge P P Jadhav adjourned the hearing on the ground that the Investigation Officers (IOs) were not present in the court. The IOs were said to be busy in arresting the other accused in the crime. Judge, Jadhav averred that he wants to dispose of the case within next six months.