The Master of Business Administration (MBA or M.B.A.) is a master’s degree in business administration, which attracts people from a wide range of academic disciplines. The MBA designation originated in the United States, emerging from the late 19th century as the country industrialized and companies sought out scientific approaches to management.
The core courses in the MBA program are designed to introduce students to the various areas of business such as accounting, finance, marketing, human resources, operations management, etc. Students in MBA programs have the option of taking general business courses throughout the program or can select an area of concentration and focus approximately one-fourth of their studies in this subject.
Accreditation bodies exist specifically for MBA programs to ensure consistency and quality of graduate business education. Business schools in many countries offer MBA programs tailored to full-time, part-time, executive, and distance learning students, with specialized concentrations.
The MBA degree has been adopted by universities worldwide, and has been adopted and adapted by both developed and developing countries.
Business schools or MBA programs may be accredited by external bodies which provide students and employers with an independent view of their quality, and indicate that the school’s educational curriculum meets specific quality standards.
MBA Programs :
- Two – year (Full Time) MBA programs normally take place over two academic years (i.e. approximately 18 months of term time). Students enter with a reasonable amount of prior real-world work experience and take classes during weekdays like other university students.
- Accelerated MBA programs are a variation of the two year programs. They involve a higher course load with more intense class and examination schedules.
- Part-time MBA programs normally hold classes on weekday evenings, after normal working hours, or on weekends. Part-time programs normally last for three years or more. The students in these programs typically consist of working professionals, who take a light course load for a longer period of time until the graduation requirements are met.
- Executive MBA (EMBA) programs developed to meet the educational needs of managers and executives, allowing students to earn an MBA or another business-related graduate degree in two years or less while working full time. Participants come from every type and size of organization – profit, nonprofit, government — representing a variety of industries. EMBA students typically have a higher level of work experience, often 10 years or more, compared to other MBA students. In response to the increasing number of EMBA programs offered, The Executive MBA Council was formed in 1981 to advance executive education.
- Distance learning MBA programs hold classes off-campus. These programs can be offered in a number of different formats: correspondence courses by postal mail or email, non-interactive broadcast video, pre-recorded video, live teleconference or videoconference, offline or online computer courses. Many schools offer these programs.
Most programs base admissions on the entrance tests like CAT, XAT, etc.
Some of the colleges offering part-time or full-time MBA programs in Goa are:
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM)
Goa Institute of Management
- Goa University
- Sri Sri Institute of Management Studies
678, St. Joaquim Road,
P.O. Box No. 127
Margao, Goa 403601