New Delhi, Mar 5 (GCCurrentAffairs) A day after United Kingdom’s Junior Foreign Minister Nigel Adams termed violence in Delhi as “very concerning”, India on Thursday urged people not to make any irresponsible comments and not to be influenced by selective and unsubstantiated narrative on the recent development in the national capital.
Replying to a question on UK Minister’s remark, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said here, “The situation is fast returning to normal. The law enforcement agencies are on the ground to restore confidence and ensure that law and order is maintained. Prime Minister has appealed for peace and brotherhood.”
He also added that the senior officials have visited the place of violence, peace committees have been formed and other steps have been taken in this direction.
Last week, the Boris Johnson government told the House of Lords that the Citizenship (Amendment) Act or CAA is “divisive”.
Adams had said in the House of Commons, “The British high commission in New Delhi and our extensive diplomatic network of deputy high commissions across India are monitoring closely the recent violence in India and developments around the Citizenship (Amendment) Act 2019.”
On February 27, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had criticized the “massacres” of Muslims in India after clashes broke between anti and pro Citizenship Amendment Act in New Delhi.
Mr Kumar said, “As far as comments by the Turkish President are concerned, they are factually inaccurate and are driven by his political agenda. We do not expect such irresponsible statements from a Head of State. On March 3, we made a strong demarche on the matter with the Turkish Ambassador in Delhi.”
Over 200 people were injured and 47 killed in the incidents of violence in North East Delhi. Thousands of properties and vehicles were also torched in the violence.