Moscow, Jul 29 (GCCurrentAffairs) Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov told Sputnik on Monday that he was not currently planning to hold a new meeting with US Special Representative for Venezuela Elliott Abrams.
Ryabkov and Abrams last met in March in Rome.
“No, I have no plans to hold a meeting with him,” Ryabkov said.
“The steps that the US administration has been recently taking, just as previously, against Cuba and Venezuela — expanding sanctions lists — lead us to the conclusion that Americans neglect obvious commitments, including the ongoing [intra-Venezuelan] negotiations in Barbados,” Ryabkov specified.
The diplomat praised the Oslo-mediated intra-Venezuelan dialogue for enabling Venezuelans to find a way out of the crisis through dialogue, and slammed the United States for continuing to put pressure on the Latin American country. According to Ryabkov, Moscow currently sees no reason to seek new contacts with Washington on Venezuela.
“Over the past few weeks, we have discussed this topic at different levels. Our minister has had a very detailed discussion with [US State Secretary Mike] Pompeo, then there has been a contact with Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale in Helsinki, where we have touched upon Venezuela as well. That contact has indicated very deep differences, discords and discrepancies in Moscow’s and Washington’s stands. So there is currently no material for a new contact of this kind,” Ryabkov concluded.