In November 2019, Uddhav Thackeray was sworn in as the 18th Chief Minister of Maharashtra. After the election results were declared on 24th October, Shiv Sena and its pre-alliance Bharatiya Janata Party had a falling out, where both the parties remained unbudged from their political egos. When the two parties failed to come to a mutual agreement, the ongoing tensions intensified leading to the imposition of Presidential rule for a brief period.
Subsequently, Shiv Sena was in the discussion to join hands with National Congress Party, just when former Chief Minister, Devendra Fadnavis was seen taking an oath as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra at a surprise ceremony. With Sharad Pawar’s nephew Ajit Pawar’s confidence, Devendra could remain in power for 80 hours. However, Ajit withdrew his support from Fadnavis and ditched him at the last minute. This gave birth to the biggest failure- NCP and Shiv Sena, where two parties with different political ideologies, wrote the dismal of Maharashtra.
On the one side, there is a party that works on the lines of appeasement and communalism and the other which once believed in the spirit of Nationalism. One could have already predicted the doomsday in the land of Shivaji Maharaj. What unfolded within a year, was a series of unfortunate events, shattering the hopes of the millions, especially the citizens of Maharashtra.
– On the night of April 16th, two Hindu Sadhus were travelling from Kandivali to attend a funeral in Gujarat. They were stopped in the middle of the night and were attacked by a mob, who lynched them mercilessly in Gadchinchale village. What came as a shock was the Mumbai Police officers stood there, while the Sadhus were pleading for their lives. Where the people of India were hoping for justice, the Maharashtra Government submitted an affidavit before the Supreme Court, opposing the probe of CBI, saying that they have taken the necessary actions against the “Accused Police Officers”.
Palghar mob lynching case: Maharashtra govt submits its affidavit before Supreme Court and oppose transfer of the case to CBI. The state govt, in its affidavit, states that it has taken necessary action against the accused Police officials, subsequent to disciplinary inquiry. pic.twitter.com/NQp7Ptmupq
— ANI (@ANI) September 7, 2020
However, on 16th January 2021, 89 people who were accused in the Palgarh Mob Lynching were granted bail with a surety of 15,000 each, on the grounds that they were mere spectators.
– On 14th June 2020, actor Sushant Singh Rajput was found hanging in his apartment. Murder, suicide, coercion? Justice for SSR merely became propaganda for many. When the probe was ordered into the SSR murder case, Senior Supreme Court Advocate, Harish Salve, rebuked Mumbai Police for delaying the investigation and filing an FIR, pointing out their suspicious and peculiar behaviour. “We have made a complete mockery of the criminal investigation system and we have only one agency to thank for this, Mumbai Police,” stated Harish Salve. He further attacked the Maharashtra Government for failing to carry on an investigation, saying that this should have been their “first instinctive reaction”.
#Exclusive | We have made a complete mockery of criminal investigation system and we have only 1 agency to thanks for this, Mumbai Police: Harish Salve, Senior Advocate, SC tells Navika Kumar on @thenewshour. | #SalveDemolishesRheaLobby pic.twitter.com/rhq1ELr7VD
— TIMES NOW (@TimesNow) August 28, 2020
– After Sushant Singh Rajput’s untimely death, questions about his manager, Disha Salian’s suicide came up. When the investigation for possible murder angle in the alleged suicide case was going on, Shiv Sena led Maharashtra Government, conveniently dismissed the inquiry. On this, BJP’s Rajya Sabha member and former chief minister of Maharashtra, Narayan Rane and his son, MLA Nitesh Rane questioned the abrupt end to Disha Salve’s case. “So, the Disha Salian case is apparently going to be closed because there are no proofs found by the police!?” Then why was the investigation officer changed twice? Why is Rohan Rai still absconding? Why has her building watchman from that night disappeared? Why her post-mortem report not out yet?”, Nitesh questioned.
So the Disha Salian case is apparently goin to be closed becz there r no proofs found by the police!?
Then why was the IO changed twice? Y is Rohan Rai still absconding?
Y has her building watchman from that night disappeared?
Y is her PM report not out yet?
— nitesh rane (@NiteshNRane) November 13, 2020
– A few days after actor Kangana Ranaut made her comment on Mumbai feeling like, Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK), Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), demolished her office with a justification saying, “it was an illegal structure”. However, the claim by BMC did not seem valid to the Bombay High Court as it stated that the demolition was “illegal and wrongful” and said that a valuer needed to be assigned to seek damages for the destruction. The only justified reason for the destruction of Kangana’s office is fascism and nothing else.
– Another incident of Shiv Sena’s fascist state was when a 66-year-old Navy Veteran was brutally attacked by Shiv Sena goons. Why? Because he shared a Whatsapp forward, with a cartoon of Uddhav Thackeray.
– The curb of “freedom of speech” under Shiv Sena’s rule is on a rise. In November Mumbai Police barged into Arnab Goswami’s residence to arrest him for a 2018 suicide case, which was close in that year after a thorough investigation, giving clean chit to Arnab.
– Mumbai Police also tried to defame Arnab and Republic Channel by accusing him of a TRP scam. However, what can be seen as a slap to Maharashtra Government and Mumbai Police, Bombay High Court said, “You have no evidence against even after 3 months”.
Why did Mumbai Police misspend so many months, imposing fake charges on him? Was it because Republic TV was the only mainstream media channel to call out the atrocities and incompetence of the Maharashtra Government?
– Sachin Waze, a Police Inspector who was accused of the murder of Murder and tampering of evidence in the Khwaja Yunus custodial death case, was reinstated in June 2020, despite being on suspension for over 16 years. In a report, it was stated that Param Bir Singh called for a meeting at 10:00 PM on 8th June and by 4:00 AM it was announced that Sachin Waze has been officially reinstated due to shortage of “Staff”.
– Former police inspector, Sachin Waze who was supposedly running on the back front, was cited as the prime suspect in the Antilia bomb scare. On 13th March 2021, Mumbai Police suspended him again, after the National Investigation Agency, arrested him in connection with explosives found in the SUV outside Businessman Ambani’s residence. It was also stated that the explosives were planted by Sachin Waze. One of the NIA officials told “Hindustan Times”, “Sachin Vaze is part of the group that planted the explosive laden Scorpio on Carmichael Road (near Antilia) on February 25”.
– When the country was nearing the “End Game”, when it came to COVID-19, Maharashtra on its own started recording more than 20,000 cases every day. In the national Economic Survey presented to Parliament, it was stated that Maharashtra has mishandled the Coronavirus crisis. According to the records, 20.3 lakhs cases were recorded in Maharashtra, while 19.5 lakh recovered, 51,255 succumbed to the virus. Also, there was a comparison made between Maharashtra and other states like, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, who have the same population but have efficiently handled the pandemic.
– Former Mumbai Police Commissioner, Parambir Singh has asserted that Maharashtra’s Home Minister Anil Deshmukh, asked Sachin Waze to collect Rs 100 Crore every month from bars and other illegal businesses. In the letter produced by Parambir Singh, it was stated that “The home minister repeatedly instructed Waze to collect Rs 100 crore each month and even told him that in Mumbai there were about 1,750 bars, restaurants and other establishments. If a sum of Rs 2-3 lakh each was collected, a monthly collection of Rs 40-50 crore was achievable, while the remaining amount could be collected from other sources.”
When we talk about development and economic growth, corruption only derails the path to prosperity. Where once Maharashtra was seen as the leading economies of the country, it is now brawling with corruption, mismanagement, and fascism. The citizens of Maharashtra are losing faith and confidence in the State’s administration. If the urgent need for Presidential rule is not realised, the people of Maharashtra will become the victims of Shiv Sena’s obtrusive incompetency.
DISCLAIMER: This article reflects author’s view point. Goa Chronicle may or may not subscribe to views of the author