Zakir Naik is the founder of the Islamic Research Foundation and Peace TV which is banned in India and Bangladesh for Naik’s hateful and provocative speeches. Many arrested terrorists have told law enforcement agencies about the influence of Zakir Naik on them including the gunman who had massacred 22 innocent people in a café in Bangladesh in 2016.
Zakir Naik is a man who stinks inside out and he is toxic as well to the community not just in India but abroad so much so that a Malaysian Muslim Anas Zubedy wrote an open letter to Zakir Naik to leave Malaysia voluntarily.(You can read an open letter here https://www.thestar.com.my/opinion/letters/2019/08/01/an-open-letter-to-brother-zakir-naik)
In fact in October 2020 amid debate, Zakir Naik warned of dire consequences after former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad justified terror attacks in France. Mahathir Mohamad said ‘Muslims have a right to be angry and to kill millions of French people. His tweet was removed by Twitter although Twitter did not suspend Mahathir Mohamad’s Twitter handle. In August 2019 Zakir Naik was banned from making public speeches in Malaysia after his intent to provoke a peace breach after which he made a public apology. Zakir Naik’s Peace TV Urdu and Peace TV was fined 3, 00, 000 pounds in May 2020 by U.K.’s media watchdog Ofcom for offensive and hateful speech. Peace TV is a license holder and the UK-based regulator said “Our investigations found that programs broadcast on Peace TV Urdu and Peace TV contained hate speech and highly offensive content, which in one instance was likely to incite crime”.
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) had filed a charge sheet against controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik, on May 2, 2019, on charges of laundering criminal money to the tune of Rs. 193 crores being proceeds of crime and allegedly creating illegal real estate assets worth crores, in India and abroad. He was charged under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA). Earlier National Investigation Agency (NIA) filed an FIR under UAPA and arrested two of Naik’s aides Amir Gazdar and Najamuddin Sathak. Also, Malaysian authorities had summoned Naik for his hateful and controversial speeches. There were reports that 5 Malaysian Ministers wanted to throw Naik out of the country and face terrorism charges for spreading hate through his speeches. The Ministry of External Affairs has also sent a formal request for Naik’s extradition. He was earlier banned from traveling to the United Kingdom and Canada for glorifying terrorism. It’s an open secret that Zakir Naik was hiding behind the former Prime Minister of Malaysia Mahathir Mohamad’s back.
Within hours of the Dhaka terror attack on 1st July 2016, he fled India fearing arrest. One of the bombers told Bangladeshi Law Enforcement Agency that he was influenced by his preaching through his YouTube channel. Even many captured ISIS terrorists have spoken about being inspired by Naik’s speeches. Zakir Naik has not returned to India and is facing multiple charges in the country and features in the list of the most wanted fugitives. Currently, Zakir Naik resides in Malaysia, where he has been in controversy in recent weeks and legal trouble after he secured a permanent residency of Malaysia, which gave him shelter after countries like Britain and Canada denied him visas.
Here are few provocative and controversial statements by Zakir Naik
- I tell the Muslims that every Muslim should be a terrorist.
- Naik says Islam is superior to all other faiths. Non-Muslims should not be allowed to have places of religious worship in an Islamic country.
- Muslims have the right to have sex with their female slaves.
- Sania Mirza should dress modestly while playing. No Indian politician would like to send his daughter to play beach volleyball even if it becomes an international sport.
- Girls shouldn’t be sent to schools where they lose their virginity by the time they pass out. Schools should be shut down. They should not be allowed to wear gold ornaments.
- In the West, they are selling their daughters and mothers in the name of women’s liberation.
- Wife-beating in the Muslim world is not necessarily a bad thing. Naik says the use of condoms during sex is akin to killing a human being.
- Death by stoning or lapidating for having sex outside marriage is acceptable according to Sharia law.
- Based on the teachings of the Qur’an and Sunnah, Naik says homosexuals should be killed.
- Suicide attacks advised by clerics are not bad. He refuses to condemn Osama bin Laden and claims that 9/11 was an inside job.
- The Islamic scholar says Muslims should seek help only from Allah and no one else, not even the Prophet – a belief that supports the Sunni view. Islamic State has used this understanding to justify violence against Sufis, Shias, and Ahmadis.
Zakir Naik is an extremist wearing a suit which is clear through his speech and confessions of many captured terrorists of being inspired by Zakir Naik. A person who motivates and inspires people to take the path of terrorism, cannot be categorized as a controversial public figure but should be called a terrorist. It is time for the world to come together to end the free run of such people. Big talks to curb terrorism won’t work unless they are put into action by countries collectively. Zakir Naik is wanted in India in cases of Money Laundering and other Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
DISCLAIMER: This article reflects author’s view point. Goa Chronicle may or may not subscribe to views of the author