29.1 C
Thursday, March 30, 2023

Diabetes consultations by youth rise by 46 pc yoy in India: Study


Share post:

Hyderabad: Young Indians in the age group of 25 – 34 recorded highest spike in diabetes consultations which increased by 46 per cent year-on-year, according to a latest insights reports.

The report was released by Practo, India’s leading integrated Healthcare company, on Friday.

With the alarming rise of diabetes in the country, the Healthcare company witnessed an overall 44 per cent increase in diabetes consultations (in-person) year-on-year (October 2020 – September 2021 vs October 2021 – September 2022).

Doctors suggest poor lifestyle choices, lack of exercise or even poor dietary habits might be some of the factors contributing to the rise in diabetes among young Indians.

Overall, 50 per cent of consultations were from people between 25 – 34 years, followed by 33 per cent between 35-44 years and 8 per cent between 45-54 years, the report revealed.

Diabetes, Diabetologists and Endocrinologists were the top three leading queries (searches) for diabetes on Practo.

Diabetes and Diabetologists accounted for 46 per cent of the top 3 queries, and Endocrinologists accounted for 54 per cent.

Tier 1 cities accounted for 95 percent of all consultations; recording a 44 per cent Y-o-Y increase while Tier 2 cities on the other hand accounted for 5 per cent of all consultations, recording a 24 per cent YoY decrease, it said.

Bangalore accounted for 29 percent of total consultations(77 percent increase); Delhi-NCR accounted for 40 percent of total consultations( 46% increase); Mumbai and Navi Mumbai accounted for 9 percent of total consultations (72% increase); Hyderabad accounted for 14 per cent of total consultations (recording a 21% increase); Chennai accounted for 3 per cent of total consultations (24% increase) and Pune accounted for 5 per cent of total consultations; recording a 35 per cent increase, the report stated.

Commenting on the insights, Dr Hema Venkataraman, Medical Advisor, New Initiatives, Practo, Consultant Endocrinologist and Senior Lecturer, University Hospitals Birmingham, NHS, UK, said, The burden of diabetes in India has doubled in the last 20 years overwhelming the existing health care infrastructure that has not grown proportionately. With as high as 1 in 5 adults estimated to have diabetes, it is time to rethink sustainable diabetes care delivery.

The breakthrough discovery of diabetes remission is shifting the paradigm of diabetes care, from a glucocentric drug treatment based approach, to a more holistic, large scale prevention strategy targeting the root cause of diabetes. The rollout of a nationwide Diabetes remission program is the need of the hour along with a strong public health campaign and policy change on advertising and healthy eating, Hema added.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

2 US army helicopters crash during training in Kentucky

Washington DC: Two US Army Black Hawk helicopters crashed during a training mission over Kentucky, the US military...

CBI court awards 3 yrs RI to six accused in Rs 3.72 cr bank fraud case

Chennai: A CBI court has convicted and sentenced six people to three years Rigorous Imprisonment in connection with...

Govt to provide road, electricity and housing to all: Yogi

Gorakhpur: Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Thursday said that the government has done a great job in terms...

Pakistan collaborates with UNICEF for children’s online protection

Islamabad: The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) will collaborate with the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) to promote a...