30 C
Delhi
Saturday, August 30, 2025

Cuban FM calls new tightening of US sanctions ‘criminal policy’

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

Mexico City: US President Donald Trump’s memorandum on tightening Washington’s policy towards Havana demonstrates a criminal policy that violates the rights of the entire Cuban people, Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla said.

“The presidential memorandum against Cuba, released today by the US government, intensifies the aggression and economic blockade that punishes the entire Cuban people and is the main obstacle to our development. It is a criminal policy that violates the rights of an entire nation,” Rodriguez Parilla said on X.

According to a statement on the White House website, the National Security Presidential Memorandum (NSPM) signed by Trump restores and strengthens the hard line towards Cuba that was in effect during his first term, reversing the normalization steps taken under the Biden administration.

The document prohibits any direct or indirect financial transactions with companies controlled by the Cuban military, including the GAESA conglomerate and its subsidiaries. Exceptions are allowed only for transactions that contribute to the achievement of US foreign policy objectives or support the Cuban population.

The memorandum strengthens control over tourist travel: the ban on tourism from the United States remains in place, mandatory audits and requirements for storing financial documentation related to travel to Cuba for at least five years are introduced. At the same time, Trump confirmed the abandonment of the policy previously aimed at stimulating migration from Cuba to prevent illegal migration.

The document also assumes the continuation of the blockade and countering attempts to lift it within the UN and other international organizations. It also talks about supporting a “free Cuba,” the development of an independent private sector and human rights — including through expanding access to the Internet, freedom of the press and association.

According to the memorandum, the United States plans to conduct a comprehensive review of human rights violations in Cuba, including cases of illegal detentions and ill-treatment of prisoners, as well as compile a list of persons hiding from US justice and sheltered by the Cuban authorities.

Related articles

Self-reliance in Defence is not merely an option, but a condition for survival & progress: Rajnath Singh

New Delhi: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said that in today’s era of terrorism, pandemics and regional conflicts, self-reliance...

Putin advocates reforms in UN, IMF to reflect modern realities

Moscow/Beijing: Russian President Vladmir Putin, ahead of the upcoming SCO summit in the Chinese city of Tianjin, lauded...

India’s GDP surges 7.8 pc in Q1 FY 26, led by services and manufacturing

New Delhi: India’s economy sprinted ahead in the first quarter of FY 2025-26, with real Gross Domestic Product...

India crush Nepal 5-0 to clinch SAFF U17 Women’s Championship 2025 title

New Delhi/Thimphu: India’s dominance in South Asian football continued as the U 17 women’s team thrashed Nepal 5-0...