13.1 C
Delhi
Monday, February 16, 2026

Direct clash with Nato will be ‘global catastrophe’: Putin

Date:

Share post:

Astana: Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that any direct clash of Nato troops with Russia would lead to a “global catastrophe”.

“I hope that those who are saying this are smart enough not to take such steps,” Putin said at a news conference in the Kazakh capital here on Friday following a summit of ex-Soviet nations.

Putin also said he saw “no need” for talks with his US counterpart Joe Biden, as tensions with Washington soar over a litany of issues including Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine, Dawn reported.

“We should ask him if he’s ready to hold such talks with me or not. I don’t see the need, to be honest,” Putin said, when asked about a potential meeting with Biden on the sidelines of a G20 summit in November.

He added that his participation in the summit hosted by Indonesia is not yet decided.

“The question of my trip there has not been finalised. Russia will certainly take part. As for the format, we’re still thinking about it,” Putin told reporters.

Speaking earlier this week, Biden said he had “no intention” of meeting with Putin but did not rule out potential talks.

Putin said he does not plan more “massive” strikes against Ukraine “for now” and that the Kremlin’s aim was not to “destroy” the pro-Western country. “There is no need now for massive strikes. There are other tasks. For now.

And then it will be clear,“ Putin said. “We do not set ourselves the task of destroying Ukraine.”

He was speaking days after Russia unleashed a wave of missile strikes across Ukraine, including on the capital Kyiv central.

Putin, who sent troops to Ukraine on February 24, is facing increased isolation even from allies.

But he said Russia is “doing everything right” in Ukraine — despite a failed attempt to topple the government and weeks of territorial losses.

“What is happening today is not pleasant. But all the same (if Russia hadn’t attacked in February) we would have been in the same situation, only the conditions would have been worse for us,” he said. “So we’re doing everything right.”

Related articles

ACB Conducts Raid Inside Mantralaya; FDA Office Sealed

Mumbai: In a dramatic operation on Friday, the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) laid a trap inside Mantralaya, the state...

Bomb threat emails trigger panic in courts across 19 UP districts

Lucknow: Bomb threat emails sent to court complexes in 19 districts of Uttar Pradesh, including key religious cities...

Rahul Gandhi slams Centre over Textile tariffs, says India ‘running shackled’ against Bangladesh

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Friday criticised the union government’s trade stance on textiles, alleging that...

EC warns of strict action over irregularities in final voter list in West Bengal

Kolkata: The Election Commission issued a stern directive to officials in West Bengal, making it clear that no...