31.9 C
Delhi
Friday, April 4, 2025

Dozen dead in Turkey’s Sanliurfa following earthquake – Reports

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

Ankara: At least twelve people have died in Turkey’s Sanliurfa as a result of the powerful earthquake that hit Turkey on Monday morning, CNN Turk reports citing the governor of Sanliurfa.

Earlier on Monday, Osmaniye Province Governor Erdinc Yilmaz told the Turkish Radio and Television Corporation (TRT) that at least five people have died in Osmaniye as a result of the earthquake and 34 buildings collapsed.

According to Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), a 7.4-magnitude earthquake occurred in Kahramanmaras Province at 04:17 a.m. local time on Monday (01:17 GMT). It was felt in at least six nearby provinces (Hatay, Adana, Osmaniye, Diyarbakir, Malatya and Sanliurfa) and was followed by numerous aftershocks. Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said that a total of 22 aftershocks have been registered, with the strongest one having a magnitude of 6.6.

Soylu said on Monday that the highest alert level was issued in Turkey. The Turkish NTV channel reported on Monday that the level four alert stipulates international assistance.

Related articles

Trump Tariffs and India

The imposition of reciprocal tariffs by U.S. President Donald Trump, announced on 2nd April, 2025 and set to...

Colombia may purchase 16 to 24 Swedish saab 39 Gripen Fighter Jets: Defence Official

Buenos Aires: Colombia may purchase 16 to 24 new Swedish Saab 39 Gripen fighter jets, the second commander...

Rubio reaffirms U.S. commitment to NATO, calls for increased defence spending

Brussels: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio reaffirmed Washington's commitment to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) during...

ISRO’s OCM-3 Satellite Imagery unveils global patterns in Vegetation Dynamics in space

Chennai: The imageries from ISRO's Ocean Color Monotor-3 (OCM-3) satellite has unveiled global patterns in vegetation dynamics in space.In...