28.1 C
Delhi
Monday, February 16, 2026

Ecuadorian president decrees 3 days of mourning for presidential candidate’s assassination

Date:

Share post:

Quito: Ecuadorian President Guillermo Lasso Thursday decreed three days of national mourning for presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio, who was assassinated Wednesday at a political rally in the capital Quito.

Lasso also decreed a 60-day state of emergency throughout the country “due to serious internal upheaval,” which included the mobilisation of the armed forces and the police to maintain order and public safety.

The assassination, which the government attributed to organized crime, occurred amid the electoral campaign for elections, which will go ahead as planned on Aug 20, Lasso said.

So far, six people have been arrested in the case, while one suspect died after being wounded during a gun battle with the police.

The 59-year-old presidential candidate was a journalist and former National Assembly member, who forged his political career with a series of denunciations of corruption.

He was, according to polls, in fourth place for early general elections.

Related articles

ACB Conducts Raid Inside Mantralaya; FDA Office Sealed

Mumbai: In a dramatic operation on Friday, the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) laid a trap inside Mantralaya, the state...

Bomb threat emails trigger panic in courts across 19 UP districts

Lucknow: Bomb threat emails sent to court complexes in 19 districts of Uttar Pradesh, including key religious cities...

Rahul Gandhi slams Centre over Textile tariffs, says India ‘running shackled’ against Bangladesh

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Friday criticised the union government’s trade stance on textiles, alleging that...

EC warns of strict action over irregularities in final voter list in West Bengal

Kolkata: The Election Commission issued a stern directive to officials in West Bengal, making it clear that no...