36.4 C
Delhi
Friday, April 4, 2025

Over 100,000 people move from Lebanon into Syria: UN

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

United Nations: More than 100,000 people have moved from Lebanon into Syria, as over 200,000 people have been displaced from southern Lebanon due to the evacuation orders issued by the Israeli military, a UN spokesman said on Tuesday.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) warned that the number of displaced people is expected to rise, as the Israeli Defense Forces continue to issue evacuation orders, including in 30 villages in south Lebanon, and those orders were issued between Monday and Tuesday, said Stephane Dujarric, the chief spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

In northern Israel, over 60,000 people remain displaced from their homes, said the spokesman at a daily briefing.

The UN Refugee Agency continues to step up its emergency response and working with partners to provide urgent humanitarian and protection support in its response for those displaced in Lebanon.

The United Nations and its partners are supporting the Lebanese government’s response by providing food, nutrition for children, water and other essential supplies such as mattresses and hygiene kits. The United Nations Children’s Fund supported nearly 200 collective shelters hosting 50,000 displaced with essential supplies.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the UN secretary-general appealed to the international community to urgently support the 426 million U.S. dollars emergency flash humanitarian appeal that was launched in Beirut, Lebanon, earlier in the day.

“Our humanitarian colleagues say that this money aims to support 1 million people with humanitarian assistance for the next three months,” said Dujarric.

The humanitarian coordinator in Lebanon, Imran Riza, has warned that without sufficient resources, humanitarians risk leaving the population of an entire country without the support they urgently need, he added.

Related articles

Trump Tariffs and India

The imposition of reciprocal tariffs by U.S. President Donald Trump, announced on 2nd April, 2025 and set to...

Colombia may purchase 16 to 24 Swedish saab 39 Gripen Fighter Jets: Defence Official

Buenos Aires: Colombia may purchase 16 to 24 new Swedish Saab 39 Gripen fighter jets, the second commander...

Rubio reaffirms U.S. commitment to NATO, calls for increased defence spending

Brussels: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio reaffirmed Washington's commitment to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) during...

ISRO’s OCM-3 Satellite Imagery unveils global patterns in Vegetation Dynamics in space

Chennai: The imageries from ISRO's Ocean Color Monotor-3 (OCM-3) satellite has unveiled global patterns in vegetation dynamics in space.In...