25.1 C
Delhi
Thursday, February 19, 2026

S Korea’s intelligence believes N Korea to carry out mew ‘military provocations’ in 2024

Date:

Share post:

Seoul: The South Korean National Intelligence Service (NIS) said Thursday that there is a high possibility that Pyongyang could carry out new “military provocations” in early 2024 ahead of the presidential election in the United States and South Korea’s parliamentary elections.

“There is a high possibility that North Korea could unexpectedly conduct military provocations or stage a cyberattack (on the South) in 2024, when fluid political situations are expected with the elections,” South Korean news agency Yonhap quoted the NIS release as saying.

The assessment comes against the background of North Korea reinstating key figures involved in high-profile provocations against Seoul, as well as based on North Korea’s track record of staging provocations before general elections in South Korea, the NIS said.

In April 2016, Pyongyang carried out a series of provocations, including the fourth nuclear test in January and the launch of a long-range missile in February, the report said. In 2020, North Korea fired four short-range ballistic missiles in March alone, several weeks before the parliamentary election in South Korea in April, the agency reported.

Former North Korean spy chief Kim Yong Chol was named as an adviser to the United Front Department in charge of inter-Korean affairs in June, who is believed to have masterminded Pyongyang’s sinking of the South Korean warship Cheonan and the shelling of the western South Korean border island of Yeonpyeong in 2010, the report said. North Korean authorities also named Ri Yong Gil as the chief of the General Staff of the North Korean military and Pak Jong Chon as the head of the ruling party’s military department in August, the report said.

Last week, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said Pyongyang would respond with a nuclear strike to any nuclear “provocations.” On Wednesday, Kim instructed North Korea’s military to accelerate “war preparations” to counter “extreme confrontation moves” of the United States and its allies in the Korean Peninsula.

South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol ordered the armed forces on Thursday to “immediately” respond to enemy attacks by retaliating first and only then reporting to “smash the enemy’s desire for provocations

Related articles

AI for Humanity, Not Hegemony: Modi’s Moral Compass for the Machine Age

At a time when the world is oscillating between awe and anxiety over Artificial Intelligence, Prime Minister Narendra...

AI Summit Embarrassment: Galgotias Exposed for Passing Off Chinese Robodog as ‘Orion’ Innovation

In a nation that chants “Make in India” with conviction and speaks of becoming a global AI powerhouse,...

India Is Not a Laboratory: Why Bill Gates Must Not Be Given a Platform to Shape Our Future

There are moments in a nation’s journey when it must pause, reflect and draw a firm line. Not...

Telangana targets USD 25 billion life sciences investments by 2035: Sridhar Babu

Hyderabad: Telangana IT and Industry Minister D Sridhar Babu on Tuesday said the State government aims to attract...