28 C
Delhi
Thursday, August 20, 2026

246 survivors, 78 bodies recovered from illegal mine in South Africa

Key Takeaways

  • A total of 246 survivors and 78 bodies have been recovered from the Stilfontein mine in South Africa.
  • The Stilfontein mine has been the site of a large-scale rescue operation since Monday, with the Mine Rescue Service working to verify the presence of any remaining survivors or bodies.
  • At least 1,576 illegal miners have been arrested since August 2024, with the majority being foreign nationals from neighboring countries.

Johannesburg: A total of 246 survivors and 78 bodies have been brought to the ground over three days of rescue operation at an abandoned gold mine in South Africa, the police said Wednesday night.

In a statement issued at 8:00 p.m. Wednesday, the South African Police Service (SAPS) said that 246 illegal miners had been retrieved alive from underground and had been arrested since the rescue operation commenced on Monday at the Stilfontein mine in the North West Province. The number of bodies recovered stood at 78, the same as the previous update released at 4:00 p.m.

“We cannot say for sure that the operation has been called off at this stage,” SAPS national spokesperson Athlenda Mathe told Xinhua.

She made the remarks after volunteers involved in the rescue operation told the media that there were no more survivors or bodies underground.

Mathe said the Mine Rescue Service, which has been responsible for the operation in Stilfontein, would send a cage underground on Thursday morning “to see if any illegal miners resurface with the cage.”

“We will rely on the Mine Rescue Service to confirm this with their state-of-the-art equipment. That will hopefully be able to give us a picture of what is happening underground,” she clarified. “We have indicated that as the SAPS, we have to verify this.”

The spokesperson added that the police would provide further updates on the rescue operation Thursday morning.

The situation at the disused mine shafts in Stilfontein, South Africa, has been developing since August 2024. Small groups of illegal miners began emerging from the shafts, with at least 1,576 foreign nationals being arrested since then. Since then, at least 1,576 illegal miners have come to the surface and been arrested, with the majority of them being foreign nationals from neighboring countries, according to earlier police statements.

Many gold mines in South Africa that were closed over the decades due to declining production have been taken over by illegal foreign miners who reopen them in search of gold.

Hot this week

Could Oil Turn Somaliland into a Prosperous African Nation?

Key TakeawaysSomaliland's oil reserves hold the key to the...

35 pieces of Shraddha’s body

Love is a powerful emotion. Love inspires you to...

The ‘Thai’ Touch in India

Thai Massage Parlours in the most populous cities across...

‘Justice for Bhavyasri’ trends on social media, seeks fairness for 17-year-old

The #JusticeForBhavyasri campaign is gaining strong ground all across...

The world is raving about Saudi Arabia’s rave party

I always thought that rave parties were the prerogative...

Behind the Wedding Photograph: The Violence Hidden Inside Indian Marriages

Key TakeawaysMarital violence and psychological cruelty are significant...

The Mecca Pact: Should India Be Concerned?

Key TakeawaysThe Mecca Pact is a strategic agreement between...

Organ Trafficking: The Business of Dehumanising the Body

Key TakeawaysOrgan trafficking is a growing concern globally, with...

A Girl or Boy from the Northeast Is Not Chinese, They Are Indian

Key TakeawaysNortheast Indians are Indian, not Chinese, and deserve...

Open Letter to the People of Nagaland: Put Down the Gun, Pick Up the Bamboo

Key TakeawaysNagaland must shift from a gun culture to...

Nagaland Can Become India’s Next Food-Processing Startup Incubation Hub

Nagaland stands at an interesting economic crossroads. A state...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img