26.1 C
Delhi
Thursday, February 29, 2024

Over 2.5 cr smart prepaid meters across UP: Govt

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Government led by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has installed smart prepaid meters on the premises of a total of 2.69 crore consumers so far under the Union government’s Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme (RDSS).

Notably, the RDSS notification was issued by the central government in 2021 to provide quality and uninterrupted power supply to the consumers of the state through an efficient and strong distribution system. The government seeks to bring down distribution losses from 12 to 15 percent by 2024-25 through the scheme.

UP Power Corporation Ltd (UPPCL) Chairman M Devaraj on Friday said a total of Rs 18,885.48 crore has been approved by the central government for the installation of smart meters, of which 15 percent of the sanctioned amount Rs 2832.82 crore is provided as a grant and the remaining amount Rs 16,052.66 crore, will be funded by the state government and the distribution corporations.

He said Rs 16,498.61 crore has been sanctioned by the central government for strengthening the power system and reducing distribution losses, of which 60 percent (Rs 9,899.17 crore) will be provided as a grant by the central government and the remaining 40 percent (Rs 6,599.44 crore) by the state government and the distribution corporations.

For loss reductions, 2.71 lakh km of armored cabling was used for providing connections, construction of 15,000 km of low tension (LT) line with armored cable, replacement of 1.18 lakh km of open wire LT line with AB cable, extension of 35,000 km 11 KV lines and 16,000 km 11 KV feeder separation works were carried out.

Devaraj said proposals worth Rs 18,916.20 crore have been sent to the Government of India for modernisation of the electricity distribution system and the approval is expected in the next financial year. “Of this proposed amount, 60 percent (Rs 11,349 crore) will be funded by the central government and the remaining 40 percent (Rs 7,566.4 crore) will be funded by the state government and the distribution corporations.

The proposed main works of modernisation include the construction of 593 new sub-stations of 33/11 KV, capacity enhancement of 1511 sub-stations of 33/11 KV, construction of about 10,000 km of new 33 KV lines, installation of 76,000 distribution transformers, construction of about 22,000 km 11 KV line, construction of about 15,000 km LT line, capacity enhancement work of one lakh distribution transformers and 14 SCADA/DMS in urban areas.

Related articles

Matter of using Maharashtra CM’s Forged signature is serious: Pawar

Mumbai: Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Thursday assured the Legislative Assembly that strict action will be taken...

Police attach ‘illegal property’ of drug peddler in J&K’s Baramulla

Srinagar: Police on Thursday attached the “illegal property” of a drug peddler in Jammu and Kashmir’s Baramulla district. Police...

Centre-States food secretaries meet on procurement of wheat, paddy

New Delhi: The Government has held discussions with the State Food Secretaries and decided to procure up to...

Airtel strengthens its retail footprint in Mysuru, Mangaluru

Bengaluru: Bharti Airtel, one of India's leading telecommunications service providers on Thursday announced that it has launched four...