31.2 C
Delhi
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Delhi court dismisses Medha Patekar’s plea against conviction in defamation case

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

New Delhi: A court here on Wednesday dismissed social activist Medha Patkar’s appeal against the conviction in a defamation case filed by Delhi’s Lieutenant-General Vinay Kumar Saxena.

The court directed Patekar to appear in person before the court on April eight.

Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Vishal Singh after hearing both parties said, “The evidence led by respondent during trial proved beyond reasonable doubt that Medha Patkar published the press note dated November 24, 2000, carrying imputations on his character with intent to harm or having reason to believe that the imputations will harm his reputation. The appellant was rightly convicted for offence under Section 500 of Indian Penal Code. There is no substance in appeal so far, as it impugns the judgment of conviction, and it is dismissed.”

“For the purpose of submission on sentence and receiving the sentence, it is deemed reasonable and expedient that appellant Medha Patkar shall appear in person before the Court on next date. She is ordered to appear in person before the Court on next date. Put up for appearance of appellant Medha Patkar, submissions on point of sentence and order on sentence, on April eight, 2025,” the court said.The Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMFC) convicted Patkar in May 2024 and pronounced a sentence and fine on July one, 2024, for defaming V K Saxena (current LG Delhi).

The Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMFC) sentenced five months imprisonment and fine of Rs 10 lakh on Narmada Bachao Andolan activist Medha Patkar as compensation to complainant V K Saxena.

In default of payment of fine, Patkar was ordered to undergo further sentence of simple imprisonment of three months.

The JMFC’s court rejected her request for release on probation of good conduct.Patkar had filed an appeal under Section 415(3) of Bhartiya Nagrik Suraksha Sanhita (BNS), 2023 by challenging the judgment of May 24, 2024, and sentence of July one, 2024, passed by Judicial Magistrate First Class, in the case.

Related articles

President Trump announces 26 pc ‘discounted reciprocal tariff’ on India

Washington/New Delhi: US President Donald Trump announced a 26% "discounted reciprocal tariff" on Indian imports, while describing the...

US stocks rise on optimism ahead of Trump tariff rollout

New York: U.S. stocks ended higher on Wednesday, as investors were waiting for U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff...

Italian PM criticizes US decision to impose tariffs on EU

Rome: Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday night criticized U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to impose tariffs...

WHO faces 2.5 bln USD funding gap as US announcing withdrawal

Geneva: The World Health Organization (WHO) is facing a budget gap of 1.9 billion U.S. dollars for 2026...