13.1 C
Delhi
Monday, February 16, 2026

Hamas refuses to participate in Gaza ceasefire talks on Aug 15

Date:

Share post:

Gaza: Palestinian movement Hamas is refusing an invitation from the United States, Qatar and Egypt to participate in the final round of talks with Israel on a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, scheduled for August 15, the Axios portal reported, citing the movement’s statement.

Earlier, Egypt, Qatar and the United States called on Israel and Hamas to resume discussions on the terms of a ceasefire on August 14-15. The leaders of the three countries said they were ready to present a final proposal to reach a deal.

Axios also reported that Hamas had cited new conditions recently presented by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the assassination of Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh, and Israel’s latest strikes on the Gaza Strip as reasons for its decision.

A senior Israeli official involved in the negotiations told the publication that Hamas’ statement was “a tactical move ahead of a possible attack by Iran and Hezbollah and in an attempt to get better terms for the deal.”

“If Hamas won’t come to the table, we will continue decimating their forces in Gaza,” the publication quoted the Israeli official as saying.

Earlier, Reuters reported, citing a statement from the movement, that Hamas had asked mediators in negotiations with Israel to present a plan for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, agreed upon by the movement in July, instead of starting new negotiations. According to the agency, Hamas demanded the implementation of the document agreed upon by the movement on July 2 and based on the vision of US President Joe Biden and the UN Security Council resolution.

In July, Israel and Hamas resumed negotiations through intermediaries on a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip in exchange for the release of hostages. The negotiation process had been at an impasse for more than a month since Biden, on behalf of Israel, announced a new plan to resolve the conflict in the Palestinian enclave.

Related articles

ACB Conducts Raid Inside Mantralaya; FDA Office Sealed

Mumbai: In a dramatic operation on Friday, the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) laid a trap inside Mantralaya, the state...

Bomb threat emails trigger panic in courts across 19 UP districts

Lucknow: Bomb threat emails sent to court complexes in 19 districts of Uttar Pradesh, including key religious cities...

Rahul Gandhi slams Centre over Textile tariffs, says India ‘running shackled’ against Bangladesh

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Friday criticised the union government’s trade stance on textiles, alleging that...

EC warns of strict action over irregularities in final voter list in West Bengal

Kolkata: The Election Commission issued a stern directive to officials in West Bengal, making it clear that no...