37.8 C
Delhi
Friday, April 4, 2025

Melanie C of Spice Girls alleges sexual assault before debut

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

London: In a startling revelation Melanie C – the former Spice Girl nicknamed Sporty Spice has alleged that she was sexually assaulted by a masseur the night before the Spice Girls’ debut performance.

Appearing on the How To Fail podcast to promote her new memoir “Who I Am”, Melanie Chisholm and discussed the incident, which she says took place at a hotel in Istanbul, the Guardian reported.

She told host Elizabeth Day that the experience made her feel “vulnerable” and “violated”.

“What happened to me, I kind of buried immediately, because there was other things to focus on,” she said, telling Day that the weeks of rehearsals and preparation the band had been doing made her want to focus on performing, rather than the assault.

“Everything was leading towards the pinnacle of everything I’d ever wanted to do.”

“I didn’t want to make a fuss, but also I didn’t have time to deal with it,” she said.

Chisholm described the assault as “mild” on a spectrum of sexual assault, and told Day that, although she didn’t initially intend to mention the assault in her memoir, she decided to write about it after she recalled it in a dream.

“I think it’s really important to me to say it and to finally deal with it and process it.”

“Terrible things happen all the time, and this situation wasn’t as bad as it could have been,” Chisholm told Day, noting that being in “an environment where you take your clothes off with this professional person” added to her later confusion around the event. “I felt very vulnerable, I felt embarrassed.”

In the years since the Spice Girls disbanded, Chisholm has been open about the struggles she faced when she was part of the group.

Speaking to the Guardian in 2020, she said that she was “struggling with an eating disorder and suffering from depression” at the height of her fame.

Last year, she filed a claim against Rupert Murdoch’s News Group Newspapers, alleging that she was a victim of phone-hacking.

Related articles

Trump Tariffs and India

The imposition of reciprocal tariffs by U.S. President Donald Trump, announced on 2nd April, 2025 and set to...

Colombia may purchase 16 to 24 Swedish saab 39 Gripen Fighter Jets: Defence Official

Buenos Aires: Colombia may purchase 16 to 24 new Swedish Saab 39 Gripen fighter jets, the second commander...

Rubio reaffirms U.S. commitment to NATO, calls for increased defence spending

Brussels: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio reaffirmed Washington's commitment to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) during...

ISRO’s OCM-3 Satellite Imagery unveils global patterns in Vegetation Dynamics in space

Chennai: The imageries from ISRO's Ocean Color Monotor-3 (OCM-3) satellite has unveiled global patterns in vegetation dynamics in space.In...