37.3 C
Delhi
Sunday, April 6, 2025

AIFF slaps Rs 4 Cr fine on Kerala Blasters for abandoning play against Bengaluru

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

New DelhiP: All India Football Federation’s Disciplinary Committee has slapped a fine of Rs 4 crore on Kerala Blasters FC for walking off the pitch against Bengaluru FC at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium in Bengaluru on March 3, 2023.

“The AIFF Disciplinary Committee, after hearing all parties involved in the tie and considering their protests and submissions, said that Kerala Blasters are “also directed to issue a ‘Public Apology’ for this unsporting conduct of abandoning the match, failing which the total fine to be imposed on the defendant team will be increased to Rs. 6 crores,”AIFF said in a statement on Saturday.

The Disciplinary Committee meeting was chaired by Vaibhav Gaggar on Friday.

“Kerala Blasters’ actions came after a hotly disputed goal scored by Bengaluru FC from a free-kick. The club filed a protest to the AIFF against referee Crystal John’s decision to allow the goalscorer Sunil Chhetri to take the free-kick that resulted in the goal,” the AIFF said.

“Kerala Blasters head coach Ivan Vukomanovic, who was accused of the offence of abandonment and bringing the game into disrepute, and apparently instigated the team for discontinuing the encounter, has been penalised “with a 10-match ban/suspension from AIFF held tournaments irrespective of whichever team he is contracted with, along with a fine of Rs five lakh under Article 9.1.2 of the AIFF disciplinary code,” the AIFF statement read.

Head Coach shall not be permitted to be a part of the team dressing room and/or the team bench. He is also directed to issue a ‘Public Apology’ for his misconduct, failing which the total fine to be imposed on the Head Coach will be increased to Rs. 10 lakh along with the 10 match ban/suspension.

The Committee has directed both Kerala Blasters and Vukomanovic to comply with this order within one week.

However, Kerala Blasters and their Head Coach have the right to file an appeal against the order.

The Committee also noted that “abandonment of a game is one of the rarest occurrences in global sporting history, especially in football. In India, this is only the second time in professional football recorded history that a team has abandoned a match. The only other time such an act occurred was in the match of East Bengal vs Mohun Bagan on 09.12.2012.

“In that match, Mohun Bagan was a goal down against bitter rivals East Bengal in Kolkata when a stone hurled from one of the stands hit midfielder Syed Rahim Nabi. The match resumed after a 13-minute stoppage towards the end of the first half, but Mohun Bagan refused to take the field after the interval as the midfielder Nabi was treated for a fractured jaw and Mohun Bagan players still felt insecure and in danger. Despite having such a probable cause of abandoning the match, Mohun Bagan were stripped of all the 12 points they had earned so far in the league and had been fined Rs two crores,” the committee observed.

Related articles

Hamas Exploits Turkey’s Financial Networks Through Cryptocurrency

A newly unsealed affidavit filed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the United States District Court...

Abu Dhabi’s Bold Leap into the Future: The World’s First Fully AI-Native City by 2027

In a move that could redefine the way cities function, Abu Dhabi has announced a staggering investment of...

Why the Waqf Amendment Bill 2025 is Important for Muslims

The Waqf Amendment Bill 2025 marks a significant milestone in the ongoing evolution of waqf governance in India,...

ChatGPT, Art, and the Ethics of Aesthetic Automation: A Crisis in Creativity

The past weeks must have been crazy as you checked your phone or doom-scrolled your social media accounts,...