37.8 C
Delhi
Friday, April 4, 2025

Palestine rejects proposal to reopen Rafah crossing without Israeli withdrawal: source

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

Ramallah: Palestine has rejected an Israeli-U.S. proposal to temporarily reopen the Rafah border crossing, calling instead for an Israeli withdrawal and the establishment of Palestinian sovereignty, an official source told Xinhua on Wednesday.

A meeting was held last week involving representatives from Palestine, the United States, and Israel to explore the possibility of operating the Rafah border crossing between Egypt and the Gaza Strip, according to the source who requested anonymity.

The Israeli side proposed that six Palestinian employees participate in managing the crossing without uniforms or police, and without raising the Palestinian flag, said the source in a statement sent to Xinhua.

The source explained that the proposal was rejected because it aimed to open the crossing temporarily without Palestinian sovereignty, which contradicts the Palestinian position and international agreements.

According to the source, the Palestinian stance is in line with the 2005 agreement on the Rafah crossing, which requires Palestinian sovereignty, European participation, and a full Israeli withdrawal from the crossing.

The meeting concluded after the Israeli-U.S. proposal was rejected by the Palestinians, and there has been no further dialogue following the meeting, said the source.

The meeting is considered the first between Israel and representatives of the Palestinian Authority to discuss the future of Gaza after the ongoing conflict.

On May 7, the Israeli army announced the imposition of “operational” control over the Palestinian side of the Rafah crossing, which led to the cessation of aid delivery from Egypt into Gaza through the crossing.

Related articles

Trump Tariffs and India

The imposition of reciprocal tariffs by U.S. President Donald Trump, announced on 2nd April, 2025 and set to...

Colombia may purchase 16 to 24 Swedish saab 39 Gripen Fighter Jets: Defence Official

Buenos Aires: Colombia may purchase 16 to 24 new Swedish Saab 39 Gripen fighter jets, the second commander...

Rubio reaffirms U.S. commitment to NATO, calls for increased defence spending

Brussels: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio reaffirmed Washington's commitment to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) during...

ISRO’s OCM-3 Satellite Imagery unveils global patterns in Vegetation Dynamics in space

Chennai: The imageries from ISRO's Ocean Color Monotor-3 (OCM-3) satellite has unveiled global patterns in vegetation dynamics in space.In...