30.2 C
Delhi
Friday, April 4, 2025

WHO says cholera risk at global level very high

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

Geneva: The World Health Organization (WHO) said that it assessed the risk of cholera at the global level as very high due to the increase in the number of outbreaks and their geographical expansion.

“The overall capacity to respond to the multiple and simultaneous outbreaks continues to be strained due to the global lack of resources, including shortages of the oral cholera vaccine, as well as overstretched public health and medical personnel, who are dealing with multiple disease outbreaks and other health emergencies at the same time. Based on the current situation, WHO assesses the risk at the global level as very high,” the WHO said in a statement.

The statement added that as of March 20, a cholera outbreak had been reported in 24 countries.

According to the organization, the vast majority of countries affected by cholera outbreaks are in Africa and the Middle East.

Related articles

President Trump announces 26 pc ‘discounted reciprocal tariff’ on India

Washington/New Delhi: US President Donald Trump announced a 26% "discounted reciprocal tariff" on Indian imports, while describing the...

US stocks rise on optimism ahead of Trump tariff rollout

New York: U.S. stocks ended higher on Wednesday, as investors were waiting for U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff...

Italian PM criticizes US decision to impose tariffs on EU

Rome: Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday night criticized U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to impose tariffs...

WHO faces 2.5 bln USD funding gap as US announcing withdrawal

Geneva: The World Health Organization (WHO) is facing a budget gap of 1.9 billion U.S. dollars for 2026...