29.1 C
Delhi
Saturday, August 30, 2025

Ecuador’s Lasso declares 60 days emergency state over presidential candidate’s murdering

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

Quito: Ecuadorian President Guillermo Lasso announced on Thursday a state of emergency across the country for 60 days in connection with the assassination of presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio.

On Wednesday, media reported that Villavicencio had been shot dead during a rally in Ecuador’s capital Quito. Lasso later confirmed the reports.

“I am declaring a state of emergency for 60 days. From now on, the armed forces are mobilized throughout the country to guarantee the security of citizens, the tranquillity of the country and free and democratic elections”, Lasso said in an address to the nation, broadcast on the channel of the presidential administration on YouTube.

Related articles

Self-reliance in Defence is not merely an option, but a condition for survival & progress: Rajnath Singh

New Delhi: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said that in today’s era of terrorism, pandemics and regional conflicts, self-reliance...

Putin advocates reforms in UN, IMF to reflect modern realities

Moscow/Beijing: Russian President Vladmir Putin, ahead of the upcoming SCO summit in the Chinese city of Tianjin, lauded...

India’s GDP surges 7.8 pc in Q1 FY 26, led by services and manufacturing

New Delhi: India’s economy sprinted ahead in the first quarter of FY 2025-26, with real Gross Domestic Product...

India crush Nepal 5-0 to clinch SAFF U17 Women’s Championship 2025 title

New Delhi/Thimphu: India’s dominance in South Asian football continued as the U 17 women’s team thrashed Nepal 5-0...