20.1 C
Delhi
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Some 270 killed, over 2,600 injured in clashes in Sudan – WHO

Date:

Share post:

Khartoum: The Sudanese Ministry of Health Emergency Operations Center has informed the World Health Organization (WHO) that about 270 people have been killed and more than 2,600 have been injured in clashes in Sudan, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Tuesday.

Previously, WHO said that 185 people have been killed and around 1,800 have been wounded in Sudan.

“The situation in the Republic of Sudan is deeply concerning. Sudan’s Ministry of Health Emergency Operations Center reports 270 people have been killed and more than 2600 people have been injured,” the director general told a briefing.

He added that there were reports that some medical facilities in the country were being looted or used for military purposes. He also said that hospitals in Sudan were experiencing shortages of medical personnel and supplies, as well as power outages, fuel shortages for power generators, water cuts, and other factors that create challenges for health workers and ambulances and put more lives at risk.

“WHO calls on all parties to comply with their obligations under international law. Healthcare facilities and workers must never be a target, especially in a situation like this where there are thousands of civilians who need access to emergency care,” the director general said, adding that “all parties must ensure unrestricted and safe access to health facilities for those injured and everyone in need of medical care.”

WHO teams will continue to work closely with health authorities of Sudan “to try and fill gaps in the provision of health care, especially for trauma,” he noted, urging all sides to “heed the calls for a humanitarian ceasefire, to silence the guns and to work towards a peaceful resolution.”

On Saturday, clashes between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Sudanese Forces (RSF) paramilitary group broke out in the capital of Khartoum.

The Sudanese army accused the RSF of mutiny and launched airstrikes against the latter’s bases. The RSF claimed it gained control of the presidential palace in Khartoum, but the army denied the palace had been captured.

On Saturday, Sudanese Armed Forces Commander-in-Chief Abdel Fattah Al Burhan issued a decree to dissolve the RSF.

Related articles

India Is Not a Laboratory: Why Bill Gates Must Not Be Given a Platform to Shape Our Future

There are moments in a nation’s journey when it must pause, reflect and draw a firm line. Not...

Telangana targets USD 25 billion life sciences investments by 2035: Sridhar Babu

Hyderabad: Telangana IT and Industry Minister D Sridhar Babu on Tuesday said the State government aims to attract...

TN attracting large scale industrial investments to attain USD One Trillion Economy goal by 2030 : Interim Budget

Chennai: The Interim Budget presented in the Tamil Nadu Assembly on Tuesday said with the goal of achieving the...

54 lakh farmers in UP become self-reliant through multi-purpose co-op society

Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government’s MPACS (Multipurpose Primary Agricultural Cooperative Society) membership mega campaign is delivering wide-ranging results...