28.5 C
Delhi
Friday, February 20, 2026

About 3,800 evacuated from Ukraine’s Sumy region

Date:

Share post:

Kiev: About 3,800 people, including 175 children, have been evacuated from 23 settlements in Ukraine’s northeastern Sumy region since Aug. 6, Sumy regional governor Volodymyr Artyukh said.

The intensity of Russia’s shelling in the Sumy region has increased significantly this month compared to June and July, Artyukh said on Monday in a video statement published by the Sumy Regional Military Administration.

He said Russia has been launching between 40 and 50 guided bombs daily, targeting the border areas of the Sumy region.

Since July 2023, about 19,800 Sumy residents, including 2,500 children, have moved to safer areas as part of the evacuation efforts.

Last week, Ukrainian authorities ordered a mandatory evacuation from two communities in the region.

The Sumy region borders Russia’s Kursk and Belgorod regions in the east and Bryansk region in the north.

Related articles

Bangladesh After the Faultlines: Can Foreign Policy Hold the Republic Together?

When I wrote in Goa Chronicle about the emerging faultlines within Bangladesh, the argument was not alarmist. It...

India’s AI Moment: Powering the World’s Youngest Nation into a Future-Ready Workforce

On 16th February 2026, the India-AI Impact Summit 2026 did not merely open its doors in New Delhi...

AI for Humanity, Not Hegemony: Modi’s Moral Compass for the Machine Age

At a time when the world is oscillating between awe and anxiety over Artificial Intelligence, Prime Minister Narendra...

AI Summit Embarrassment: Galgotias Exposed for Passing Off Chinese Robodog as ‘Orion’ Innovation

In a nation that chants “Make in India” with conviction and speaks of becoming a global AI powerhouse,...