14.1 C
Delhi
Thursday, February 19, 2026

285 migrants intercepted off Libyan coast in past week: IOM

Date:

Share post:

Tripoli: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) on Monday said that 285 migrants were intercepted and returned off the coast of Libya over the past week.

The migrants returned include at least three children, the IOM said in a statement on the social media platform X, adding that three bodies of migrants were recovered while 12 others remain missing.

So far this year, a total of 19,295 migrants have been intercepted and returned, while 568 migrants died and 783 others went missing off the Libyan coast, the IOM said.

Due to the ensuing insecurity and chaos after the downfall of late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, Libya has become a preferred departure point for many migrants, primarily from Africa, who attempt to cross the Mediterranean Sea to reach European shores.

Related articles

AI Summit Embarrassment: Galgotias Exposed for Passing Off Chinese Robodog as ‘Orion’ Innovation

In a nation that chants “Make in India” with conviction and speaks of becoming a global AI powerhouse,...

India Is Not a Laboratory: Why Bill Gates Must Not Be Given a Platform to Shape Our Future

There are moments in a nation’s journey when it must pause, reflect and draw a firm line. Not...

Telangana targets USD 25 billion life sciences investments by 2035: Sridhar Babu

Hyderabad: Telangana IT and Industry Minister D Sridhar Babu on Tuesday said the State government aims to attract...

TN attracting large scale industrial investments to attain USD One Trillion Economy goal by 2030 : Interim Budget

Chennai: The Interim Budget presented in the Tamil Nadu Assembly on Tuesday said with the goal of achieving the...