28.9 C
Delhi
Saturday, February 21, 2026

Death toll from starvation cult in Kenya exceeds 403 people

Date:

Share post:

Nairobi: The death toll from the starvation cult in Kenya has reached 403 after 12 more bodies were found in Kilifi County in the country’s southeast.

Coast Regional Commissioner Rhoda Onyancha said there were no new arrests so far, and the total number of people arrested remains at 37, including the cult leader Paul Mackenzie, the Citizen broadcaster reported on Monday.

In April, local media reported four people had starved themselves to death, as Mackenzie had preached they would “meet Jesus” that way. Another 11 cult followers were hospitalized. Shortly after, Mackenzie was arrested. In May, the Kenyan prosecutor’s office said he would be charged with terrorism.

Related articles

Biryani to Billions: How a Hyderabad Tax Probe May Uncover a ₹70,000 Crore Digital Evasion Scandal

The aroma of biryani has long symbolised celebration in Hyderabad. But this week, that aroma carries the unmistakable...

PLI: Powering India’s Manufacturing Renaissance from Import Dependence to Global Competitiveness

In 2020, when the world was reeling from supply chain disruptions and geopolitical realignments, India chose not to...

Bangladesh After the Faultlines: Can Foreign Policy Hold the Republic Together?

When I wrote in Goa Chronicle about the emerging faultlines within Bangladesh, the argument was not alarmist. It...

India’s AI Moment: Powering the World’s Youngest Nation into a Future-Ready Workforce

On 16th February 2026, the India-AI Impact Summit 2026 did not merely open its doors in New Delhi...