28.7 C
Delhi
Saturday, February 21, 2026

Death toll of Sunday’s blast in NW Pakistan rises to 44

Date:

Share post:

Islamabad: The death toll of a suicide blast that hit a political gathering in the Bajaur district of Pakistan’s northwest Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on Sunday rose to 44, the health minister of the province said on Monday.

Riaz Anwar told local media that the death toll increased after nine injured people succumbed to injuries overnight during treatment in different hospitals.

The minister said more than 200 people sustained injuries in the bomb blast and over 100 of them are still under treatment in hospitals.

Anwar feared that the death toll might further rise as at least 10 of the wounded are in critical condition, adding that all the critical patients had been airlifted to the provincial capital of Peshawar.

Police said the attack took place when a suicide bomber exploded his jacket at the political workers’ convention of the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) near Shanday Mor area on the Munda Khar road of the district.

Related articles

Biryani to Billions: How a Hyderabad Tax Probe May Uncover a ₹70,000 Crore Digital Evasion Scandal

The aroma of biryani has long symbolised celebration in Hyderabad. But this week, that aroma carries the unmistakable...

PLI: Powering India’s Manufacturing Renaissance from Import Dependence to Global Competitiveness

In 2020, when the world was reeling from supply chain disruptions and geopolitical realignments, India chose not to...

Bangladesh After the Faultlines: Can Foreign Policy Hold the Republic Together?

When I wrote in Goa Chronicle about the emerging faultlines within Bangladesh, the argument was not alarmist. It...

India’s AI Moment: Powering the World’s Youngest Nation into a Future-Ready Workforce

On 16th February 2026, the India-AI Impact Summit 2026 did not merely open its doors in New Delhi...