New Delhi: India star pacer Jasprit Bumrah on Tuesday said that he was “gutted” to miss out on the T20 World Cup in Australia.
“I am gutted that I won’t be a part of the T20 World Cup this time, but thankful for the wishes, care and support I’ve received from my loved ones. As I recover, I’ll be cheering on the team through their campaign in Australia,” Bumrah tweeted.
“Medical team has ruled out fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah from the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup squad. The decision was taken following a detailed assessment and in consultation with the specialists,” the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said in a statement on Monday.
The 28-year-old had picked up a back injury earlier last month, which had ruled him out of the Asia Cup.
The board will be naming a replacement for Bumrah in the squad for the marquee tournament soon.
He returned for the three-match T20I series against Australia, which India won 2-1, and picked up a wicket in two matches.
He was also named in India’s squad for the subsequent white-ball series against South Africa, but later he was ruled of the series after he complained of backache.
Bumrah’s loss is a huge blow to India’s hopes of improving on their showing last year. He is India’s third-highest wicket-taker in men’s T20Is with 70 scalps in 60 matches at 20.22, and his skill and accuracy with the yorker will be particularly missed in the death overs.
India is scheduled to open its T29 World Cup campaign against Pakistan on October 23.
The Men in Blue are set to leave for Perth on October 6 for a preparatory stint.