30 C
Delhi
Thursday, August 20, 2026

NASA says re-established full communications with Voyager 2 space probe

Washington: NASA announced Friday that it has reestablished full communications with the Voyager 2 space probe after losing contact with the spacecraft last week.

“NASA has reestablished full communications with Voyager 2. The agency’s Deep Space Network facility in Canberra, Australia, sent the equivalent of an interstellar ‘shout’ more than 12.3 billion miles (19.9 billion kilometers) to Voyager 2, instructing the spacecraft to reorient itself and turn its antenna back to Earth. With a one-way light time of 18.5 hours for the command to reach Voyager, it took 37 hours for mission controllers to learn whether the command worked. At 12:29 a.m. EDT on Aug. 4, the spacecraft began returning science and telemetry data, indicating it is operating normally and that it remains on its expected trajectory,” the space agency said in a statement on the website.

NASA said that contact with the probe was lost in late July after a series of planned commands were sent to the probe, causing the spacecraft’s antenna to point away from Earth and resulting in the loss of communications and data transmission.

The agency said on August 1 that its Deep Space Network, using multiple antennas, had been able to detect a signal from the probe, which confirmed that the aircraft was operational.

Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 were launched in September 1977. Both Voyagers are the farthest from Earth and the longest-operated spacecraft. Voyager 1, which is almost 15 billion miles (24 billion kilometers) from Earth now, continues to operate normally, NASA added.

Hot this week

Could Oil Turn Somaliland into a Prosperous African Nation?

Key TakeawaysSomaliland's oil reserves hold the key to the...

35 pieces of Shraddha’s body

Love is a powerful emotion. Love inspires you to...

The ‘Thai’ Touch in India

Thai Massage Parlours in the most populous cities across...

‘Justice for Bhavyasri’ trends on social media, seeks fairness for 17-year-old

The #JusticeForBhavyasri campaign is gaining strong ground all across...

The world is raving about Saudi Arabia’s rave party

I always thought that rave parties were the prerogative...

Behind the Wedding Photograph: The Violence Hidden Inside Indian Marriages

Key TakeawaysMarital violence and psychological cruelty are significant...

The Mecca Pact: Should India Be Concerned?

Key TakeawaysThe Mecca Pact is a strategic agreement between...

Organ Trafficking: The Business of Dehumanising the Body

Key TakeawaysOrgan trafficking is a growing concern globally, with...

A Girl or Boy from the Northeast Is Not Chinese, They Are Indian

Key TakeawaysNortheast Indians are Indian, not Chinese, and deserve...

Open Letter to the People of Nagaland: Put Down the Gun, Pick Up the Bamboo

Key TakeawaysNagaland must shift from a gun culture to...

Nagaland Can Become India’s Next Food-Processing Startup Incubation Hub

Nagaland stands at an interesting economic crossroads. A state...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img