20.1 C
Delhi
Thursday, February 19, 2026

WHO to drop HCQ from its global study into COVID-19 treatments: Dr Tedros

Date:

Share post:

Geneva: The World Health Organisation (WHO) is to drop hydroxychloroquine from its global study into COVID-19 treatments. 

Speaking at the Global Media briefing today, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, WHO stated that in light of a paper published last week in The Lancet, that showed people taking hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) were at a higher risk of death and heart-related problems than those who were not taking HCQ. 

Dr Tedros revealed that the Executive Group has implemented a temporary pause of the hydroxychloroquine arm within the Solidarity Trial while the data is reviewed by the Data Safety Monitoring Board

“The other arms of the trial are continuing. This concern relates to the use of hydroxychloroquine and chloraquine in #COVID19. I wish to reiterate that these drugs are accepted as generally safe for use in patients with autoimmune diseases or malaria,” Dr Tedros expressed.

Related articles

AI Summit Embarrassment: Galgotias Exposed for Passing Off Chinese Robodog as ‘Orion’ Innovation

In a nation that chants “Make in India” with conviction and speaks of becoming a global AI powerhouse,...

India Is Not a Laboratory: Why Bill Gates Must Not Be Given a Platform to Shape Our Future

There are moments in a nation’s journey when it must pause, reflect and draw a firm line. Not...

Telangana targets USD 25 billion life sciences investments by 2035: Sridhar Babu

Hyderabad: Telangana IT and Industry Minister D Sridhar Babu on Tuesday said the State government aims to attract...

TN attracting large scale industrial investments to attain USD One Trillion Economy goal by 2030 : Interim Budget

Chennai: The Interim Budget presented in the Tamil Nadu Assembly on Tuesday said with the goal of achieving the...