28.7 C
Delhi
Saturday, February 21, 2026

Yemen’s Houthis claim shooting down U.S. drone over Hodeidah

Date:

Share post:

Aden, Yemen: Yemen’s Houthi forces announced Tuesday that they successfully intercepted a U.S. MQ-9 reconnaissance drone over the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah.

Yahya Sarea, the Houthi military spokesperson, said on the social media platform X that the drone was downed while “violating Yemeni airspace and conducting hostile operations” in Hodeidah province.

Sarea said it is the 15th aircraft neutralized by Houthi forces during what they term the “ongoing Battle of the Promised Liberation and the Sacred Jihad,” a campaign they describe as supporting Gaza and Lebanon.

No immediate comment was available from U.S. military or diplomatic sources regarding the Houthi claim.

The Houthi group, which controls large swathes of northern Yemen, including the capital Sanaa, has previously targeted vessels they say are linked to Israel in the Red Sea as support for Palestinians during the conflict between Israel and Hamas.

Related articles

Biryani to Billions: How a Hyderabad Tax Probe May Uncover a ₹70,000 Crore Digital Evasion Scandal

The aroma of biryani has long symbolised celebration in Hyderabad. But this week, that aroma carries the unmistakable...

PLI: Powering India’s Manufacturing Renaissance from Import Dependence to Global Competitiveness

In 2020, when the world was reeling from supply chain disruptions and geopolitical realignments, India chose not to...

Bangladesh After the Faultlines: Can Foreign Policy Hold the Republic Together?

When I wrote in Goa Chronicle about the emerging faultlines within Bangladesh, the argument was not alarmist. It...

India’s AI Moment: Powering the World’s Youngest Nation into a Future-Ready Workforce

On 16th February 2026, the India-AI Impact Summit 2026 did not merely open its doors in New Delhi...