25.8 C
Delhi
Friday, April 4, 2025

Priyanka meets protesting wrestlers, accuses govt of backing Brij Bhushan

Date:

Share post:

Donate-GC-Razorpay

New Delhi: Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Saturday met the wrestlers protesting against the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) chief and BJP MP Brij Bhushan Singh here, and accused the government of trying to save Singh.

She also demanded removal of Singh from the post of WFI chief stating that she feels the latter would use his position to influence the investigation.

Several wrestlers including Vinesh Phogat and Sakshi Malik resumed their protest at Jantar Mantar here on Sunday against Singh accusing him of sexual harassment

“There is a serious allegation against this person. First, he should resign from the post (of WFI chief).Till he holds the post. He will keep pressurising,” Vadra told reporters after she met the wrestlers in an apparent reference to Singh.

Taking a swipe at Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the matter, she said,

“I don’t have any hope from the PM. If he was bothered, he should have called them and spoke to them. When they won medals he then called them.”

“The government is trying to save this person (Singh),” Vadra said.

In response to a question on two FIRs lodged by Delhi Police on Friday in connection with the matter, the Congress leader said, “If FIRs registered, they why they (wrestlers) were not given the copy.”

“There is nothing political . It should not be politicised,” she added.

The Congress leader also called upon the people of the country especially women to stand with the protesting wrestlers.

On January, the Sports Ministry formed an Oversight Committee to enquire into the allegations of sexual misconduct, harassment and/intimidation, financial irregularities and administrative lapses, levelled by prominent sportspersons.

The Ministry instructed the executive committee of WFI to abstain from managing the day-to-day activities of the federation during the course of the enquiry.

Earlier this week, a petition was filed by seven wrestlers in Supreme Court seeking registration of a FIR against the WFI chief.

Related articles

President Trump announces 26 pc ‘discounted reciprocal tariff’ on India

Washington/New Delhi: US President Donald Trump announced a 26% "discounted reciprocal tariff" on Indian imports, while describing the...

US stocks rise on optimism ahead of Trump tariff rollout

New York: U.S. stocks ended higher on Wednesday, as investors were waiting for U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff...

Italian PM criticizes US decision to impose tariffs on EU

Rome: Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday night criticized U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to impose tariffs...

WHO faces 2.5 bln USD funding gap as US announcing withdrawal

Geneva: The World Health Organization (WHO) is facing a budget gap of 1.9 billion U.S. dollars for 2026...