Key Takeaways
- The death toll in the communication device explosion in Lebanon has risen to 14, with injuries up to 450 reported.
- The explosions are believed to have been caused by ICOM V82 walkie-talkie devices, which are reportedly made in Japan.
- Tensions along the Lebanon-Israel border have escalated following the incident, with Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant announcing that Israel is at ‘the beginning of a new stage of the war’ against Hezbollah.
Beirut: The death toll in explosions of wireless communication devices across Lebanon on Wednesday rose to 14, with injuries up to 450, said the Lebanese Health Ministry.
On Wednesday afternoon, explosions rocked Beirut’s southern suburb and several regions in southern and eastern Lebanon, causing widespread destruction and chaos. At least 14 people have lost their lives and over 450 have been injured in the blasts.
Security reports indicated that a wireless communication device exploded in Beirut’s southern suburb during the funeral of four Hezbollah members, with similar explosions igniting fires in cars and residential buildings, resulting in several injuries.
Local media said the devices involved were identified as ICOM V82 models, walkie-talkie devices reportedly made in Japan. Emergency services were dispatched to the scene to transport the injured to local hospitals.
Meanwhile, the Lebanese Army Command issued a statement urging citizens not to gather near the sites of the incidents to allow medical teams to enter.
So far, Hezbollah has not commented on the incident.
The explosions followed an attack a day ago in which the Israeli military allegedly targeted pager batteries used by Hezbollah members, resulting in the deaths of 12 individuals, including two children, and approximately 2,800 injuries.
In a statement on Tuesday, Hezbollah accused Israel of being “fully responsible for the criminal aggression that also targeted civilians,” threatening to retaliate. Israel has not yet commented on the explosions.
Tensions along the Lebanon-Israel border escalated on Oct. 8, 2023, following a barrage of rockets launched by Hezbollah toward Israel in solidarity with Hamas’ attack the day before. Israel then retaliated by firing heavy artillery toward southeastern Lebanon.
On Wednesday, Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant announced that Israel is at “the beginning of a new stage of the war” against Hezbollah.








