24 C
Delhi
Sunday, February 22, 2026

WFP launches emergency food operation for conflict-affected people in Lebanon

Date:

Share post:

Beirut: The World Food Programme (WFP) launched an emergency operation on Sunday to provide food assistance for up to one million people affected by the recent escalation between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon.

A statement released by WFP said the agency is distributing ready-to-eat food rations, bread, hot meals, and food parcels to families in shelters nationwide.

“This weekend’s further acceleration of the conflict underscored the need for an immediate humanitarian response. This comes after thousands of people had already been displaced, compounding the fragility of a population burdened by accumulated crises,” WFP said.

According to the statement, WFP has been providing assistance on the ground since day one of the crisis, reaching over 66,000 individuals in shelters across the country.

“To continue these critical operations, WFP urgently requires 105 million U.S. dollars until the end of the year and calls on the international community to mobilize resources and support the humanitarian response,” the statement added.

“Lebanon is at a breaking point and cannot endure another war,” said Corinne Fleischer, WFP regional director for the Middle East, North Africa, and Eastern Europe. “WFP is on the ground, but we urgently need funds. More urgently, the people in the region need peace.”

Meanwhile, during a meeting with the cabinet to discuss the latest developments in the region, Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati said that the number of displaced people due to Israeli airstrikes in Lebanon may reach one million.

Mikati described the scale of the displacement as “the largest in the history of Lebanon,” calling for “a ceasefire on all fronts.”

Confrontations between Hezbollah and Israel have sharply escalated after the latter announced a shift in military focus from the Gaza Strip to the northern front.

This intensified the ongoing clashes between Israel and Hezbollah, which began on Oct. 8, 2023, when Hezbollah started launching rockets at Israel in solidarity with Hamas in Gaza, triggering retaliatory Israeli artillery fire and airstrikes in southeastern Lebanon.

Related articles

Biryani to Billions: How a Hyderabad Tax Probe May Uncover a ₹70,000 Crore Digital Evasion Scandal

The aroma of biryani has long symbolised celebration in Hyderabad. But this week, that aroma carries the unmistakable...

PLI: Powering India’s Manufacturing Renaissance from Import Dependence to Global Competitiveness

In 2020, when the world was reeling from supply chain disruptions and geopolitical realignments, India chose not to...

Bangladesh After the Faultlines: Can Foreign Policy Hold the Republic Together?

When I wrote in Goa Chronicle about the emerging faultlines within Bangladesh, the argument was not alarmist. It...

India’s AI Moment: Powering the World’s Youngest Nation into a Future-Ready Workforce

On 16th February 2026, the India-AI Impact Summit 2026 did not merely open its doors in New Delhi...