Warangal (Telangana): At least 33 students fell ill after eating food contaminated by a lizard at Girijan Ashram Girls high School hostel in Wardhannapet of this district on Monday night.
Official sources said, 192 students are studying in the Ashram school in Wardhannapet. Among them, 150 students who were present took their dinner at 1900 hours last night. While having dinner one of the students saw a dead lizard in the food and stopped eating.
The matter was reported to the cooking master and the serving of meals to them was stopped.
Of the total students, 33 students who ate the meal already suffered from stomach ache and vomiting after an hour. Some could not bear the stomach ache and screamed.
The Ashram authorities along with local people immediately called 108 ambulance service and shifted the students to Vardhannapet government hospitals.
Of the 33 students, 8 students who were in serious condition have shifted to MGM hospital here for better treatment.
Meanwhile, Health Minister Harish Rao, Rural Development Minister Errabelli Dayakar Rao and Tribal Affairs Minister Satyavathy Rathod called MGM Hospital Superintendent Dr V Chandrasekhar over phone and inquired about the condition of the students.
They also suggested Dr Chandrasekhar to move the students to NIMS, Hyderabad if necessary.