Key Takeaways
- MEA confirms the fake memo on Indian diplomats is fake and denies any links to violent crimes.
- The fake memo, dated April 2023, purportedly asks Indian diplomats to “cultivate” Indian diaspora groups in Canada.
- The fake memo comes as tensions rise between India and Canada over Khalistani separatists, who attacked a Hindu temple in Brampton, Ontario.
New Delhi: The Ministry of External Affairs on Friday termed as fake a “secret memo” doing the rounds on social media attempting to link Indian diplomats abroad with violent crimes.
“The said Government of India communication is fake”, the MEA said.
The fake memo, dated April 2023, is purported to be from former Foreign Secretary Vinay Kwatra asking Indian diplomats to “cultivate” Indian diaspora groups in Canada “as vital force in the street confrontations with Sikh extremists”.
The fake memo has been posted on X by a person who goes by the name Aman Singh, with the handle @TheStarBanner, based in New York.
Along with the fake memo, Singh posted on X: “Indian Government’s Secret Memo has been leaked where it has been revealed that the Indian Embassies are being used to mobilize and train terrorists in the west.”
Tensions between the Indian government and Ottawa are rising due to the free rein given to Khalistani separatists in Canada. Last week, these separatists entered a Hindu temple in Brampton, Ontario, and attacked devotees and others. Indian consulate officials were present at the temple, holding a camp to help the Indian diaspora complete their life certificates.
India has condemned the violence and urged Canada to provide security to Indian diplomats.








