Key Takeaways
- Over 16 people were killed and 25 others injured in paramilitary shelling on a displacement camp in western Sudan.
- The Rapid Support Forces have claimed to have established full control over the strategic locality of Um Kadada in North Darfur State.
- The Sudan conflict has displaced over 15 million people, both inside and outside Sudan, according to estimates from the International Organisation for Migration.
Khartoum: More than 16 people were killed and 25 others injured in an artillery shelling on Thursday by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) on a displacement camp in western Sudan, the non-governmental organisation the Sudanese Doctors Network said in a statement.
It said the RSF launched “a deliberate artillery strike” on Abu Shouk displacement camp in El Fasher, the capital city of North Darfur State.
Meanwhile, the volunteer group Emergency Room said the deaths were more than 15, while the injuries were 25.
The RSF has yet to comment on the incident.
Also on Thursday, the RSF said in a statement that it has “established full control over the strategic locality of Um Kadada” in North Darfur State, killed “hundreds of” fighters from the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF), and captured “fully equipped combat vehicles, as well as various weapons and ammunition” belonging to the SAF.
So far, the SAF has not commented on the RSF’s claim of capturing Um Kadada, located some 178 km southeast of El Fasher.
The Sudan conflict has been ongoing since mid-April 2023, resulting in the loss of 29,683 lives, as reported by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data.
The conflict has displaced over 15 million people, both inside and outside Sudan, according to estimates from the International Organisation for Migration.








